Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 03:43:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

This is Going to be Interesting

Started by Mojo, March 23, 2011, 05:05:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I got a phone call from a company in Florida to go look at one of their customers motorcoaches that they worked on. It seems their technician while removing the front windshield of the coach sliced through the vinyl on the dash.

Now here is the interesting part. The company is pushing me to try and fix it if I can. The customer is pushing for a brand new dash.

I told the company and the customer both that if I can fix it I will but if I cannot I wont even attempt it and they will have to get a new dashboard ( mega dollars ).

I hate being caught in the middle like this and to be honest I doubt like hell I am going to be able to fix it.
But we shall see.

I should have just given them Paul's number and begged out of all this. :) ( BTW, great talking to you last night Paul. Sorry I called so late. I forgot you old people go to bed early........lol.......)

Will post back today and let you all know how it went.

Chris

206RB

March 23, 2011, 05:12:58 am #1 Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:05:38 am by 206RB
The recovering part follows the dash removal, no?
If it were me, I'd tell them to handle the removal,  install, AND the sourcing of the material(s). Maybe just me and my bad back, but in my old age I've learned some CYA.
Mike

Mike8560

Now tou have to
go look for free Chris

Mojo

I took the job.

The technician definitely sliced the vinyl............ from one end of the dash ( near the windshield ) to the other. About a 6 ft slice.

Lucky for the company it can be recovered. The dashboard is a three piece system so the damaged part will come off. The arrangement is the customer takes the coach to an RV dealer's service center and has the dash removed. The dealer calls me and I pick up the piece that needs to be recovered. Once done I return it to the dealer and they reassemble the entire dash.

No way was I going to remove it and in the process have to deal with the electronics, wires, etc.

The job will be a piece of cake. The hard part will be getting matching vinyl from the coach manufacturer. Hopefully they have it in stock. It's a new coach so they should have it. I love these jobs. Quick turn around and quick bucks.

The bonus is I am getting more work off this job. The customer wants his dinette booth all redone.
Cha - Ching. I needed the work as things have been dead.

What an expensive lesson for the glass company. :)

Chris

Mike8560

cool
Keep us posted with pix chris

Mojo

I needed that work. Paul and I were talking on the phone the other night about how things up here in our area just died after Christmas.

I will get some pictures and post them for sure.

Chris

MinUph

Chris,
  Glad to hear it can be redone. For the customer and you it is the best fix. Repair is questionable as we talked about. And yea it was nice talking to you too.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website