Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 11:27:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing in reverse....

Started by Grebo, March 14, 2011, 04:49:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Hi, I had a bit of time to kill & had a look at some vids on Utube   :P   As you do...
I come across this one of a guy saying he has a problem with his sailrite sewing machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJcYrduPLk
Now, I don't do that much sewing in reverse apart from the starts & stops & occasional short runs if I really have to.. Mainly co's you can't see what you doing & why !

If I did this with any of my machines, I am pretty sure it wouldn't be to happy about it.
Or have I missed something ?
Starting in reverse & not holding the threads..... ::)

baileyuph

I understand Grebo, I have enough problem going in the right direction. 

Hey speaking of holding threads, I have been holding threads less these days.  I remembered long ago that I never held the threads on my 111W series machines and really missed that convience.  So, I have been going through the machine inspecting and adjusting everything everywhere.  Now, it might be paying off for I don't have to hold the threads again.  I just push them out of the way and start sewing.  I will keep my fingers crossed on this.  It seems that there are some tensions and a pull back lever adjustment that has done the most for me.  Oh, I did really clean and clean and oil.  That sure made it run smoother, don't know if it had anything to do with holding threads or not.

Yes, going backwards is another issue.  I need to learn more about that physics.  Grin.

Doyle

Mojo

I have never held threads and never had a problem. I do what Doyle does......just push them off to the right and out of the way.

Does that make me a bad boy ? :)

I wonder why some machines allow this and others do not ?

Chris

mike802

On my Adler, I cannot put the machine in reverse and have it stay there, I have to hold the reverse lever in the reverse position while sewing because it is on a spring, the machine is not designed to stay in reverse, therefor it is not meant to sew in reverse for more than a couple of stitches, just enough to lock the stitch.  It is a lot faster than a machine that stays in the reverse position all by it's self, I would think.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Grebo

Quote from: mike802 on March 14, 2011, 07:20:17 am
On my Adler, I cannot put the machine in reverse and have it stay there, I have to hold the reverse lever in the reverse position while sewing because it is on a spring, the machine is not designed to stay in reverse, therefor it is not meant to sew in reverse for more than a couple of stitches, just enough to lock the stitch.  It is a lot faster than a machine that stays in the reverse position all by it's self, I would think.

Thats what I always thought.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: mike802 on March 14, 2011, 07:20:17 am
On my Adler, I cannot put the machine in reverse and have it stay there, I have to hold the reverse lever in the reverse position while sewing because it is on a spring, the machine is not designed to stay in reverse, therefor it is not meant to sew in reverse for more than a couple of stitches, just enough to lock the stitch.  It is a lot faster than a machine that stays in the reverse position all by it's self, I would think.

I disagree with this statement.  Reverse, if working properly, should work all the same as forward sewing.  In fact, for some applications not likely related to canvas auto trim or upholstery, people are sewing in reverse about 50% of the time.  In fact, if all you could do in reverse on our machines is a few stitches and nothing more, our service department would have a line out the front door!

Grebo

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on March 14, 2011, 09:23:49 am
I disagree with this statement.  Reverse, if working properly, should work all the same as forward sewing.  In fact, for some applications not likely related to canvas auto trim or upholstery, people are sewing in reverse about 50% of the time.  In fact, if all you could do in reverse on our machines is a few stitches and nothing more, our service department would have a line out the front door!

:o  I never knew that..    Live & learn   :D

ajlelectronics

I have just tried the technique on my Seiko ST8-W. The only issue I found is having to use my elbow to hold the reverse operation on. Apart from that it seems to feed and sew perfectly well. Took a bit of getting used to though!

scottymc

I also had nothing better to do, so I tried to sew a whole job in reverse on my pfaff binder, it didn't work.

fragged8

I sometimes sew backwards if the panel is too big to turn under the arm.

i do have a reverse button though that I can reach with my finger, it uses
an air ram to push the mechanism in reverse mode

MinUph

I remember needing to sew in reverse for some things way back when. Haven't run into it and can't remember why I did. Must be a senior moment.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

mike802

All I know is my machine will not stay in reverse on it's own, (that I know of) and I have to hold the lever in reverse position, so I came to the conclusion it was not meant to be used in reverse for prolonged time periods. I have never run into a situation where I had to sew in reverse for more than a few inches, but it never has given me trouble sewing backwards for the little amount needed.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

March 16, 2011, 12:22:07 pm #12 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:23:49 pm by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: mike802 on March 16, 2011, 08:56:25 am
All I know is my machine will not stay in reverse on it's own, (that I know of) and I have to hold the lever in reverse position.

Most, but not all, are like this.  That does not mean you are not suppoed to sew in reverse.  If it does one stitch in reverse, it should do two, and if it does two, it should do...you get the idea. 

baileyuph

Quoteremember needing to sew in reverse for some things way back when. Haven't run into it and can't remember why I did. Must be a senior moment

The capability isn't always essential but certainly can be more efficient in restoring seat belts in classic cars.  We do a shed  (guess where I got this term?) load of reverse sewing on these to get the stitching just like OEM work.

Reverse is a good capability for canvas repairs. 

It will come to you Paul.

Doyle