Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 31, 2024, 07:38:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

sewing strataglass and other press polished vinyls

Started by jsquail, March 11, 2011, 08:59:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

What are the secrets to no scratches when sewing this stuff. I have been covering my table with blankets. What does everyone else do to keep the scratches off?
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike8560

I've found that even with covering my table with soft felt I'll get scratched from the window sliding on it probly somthing stuck on the felt. Sonnkw I keep my windows I. Place o. Top of each pattern I'll lay my window pattern. I lay my window pattern out them the strat on topand I score with a blade to cut and mark my zippers ect o to the window. I'll keep each window on top of the pattern while facing ect sliding the pattern on the table  when I
all done I remove the plastic. It's the best way I've found. 

So do ou have lunch at the Glouster house much ?
Been there many time the one hint I miss the most in Florida s the Ipswich clams.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm

bobbin

The sad fact is that the stuff scratches if you look at it the wrong way.  I think the best you can do is take precautions (padding your work table with soft fabric and keeping the padding clean) and handling it as gently as you possibly can. 

I have long wondered about the usefulness of the polishing compounds you can buy for plastics.  I wonder if using them as the final step before delivering the panels might remove the smaller, surface scratches?  I do know, however, that using those products requires a lot of elbow grease and plenty of clean, soft polishing cloths!

Mike8560

Too bad they don't have the protective paper like polycarbonate

bobbin

Mike, I have always wondered if there was some sort of protective "stickum" that can be purchased on a roll and then gently applied to Strata glass for protective purposes!  I work in a shop where nothing ever changes and anything new is regarded with suspicion so as a "grunt" I really have no way of knowing about things like that. 

The price of the stuff would, I'd think, make a that sort of product a pretty worthwhile thing... but what do I know?  (slobber, slobber, slobber.... oink, oink, oink). 

;)

206RB

It really should be applied by the mfg from the get go. I'm suprised it isn't. It sure would make life easier.

Quote from: bobbin on March 11, 2011, 01:01:15 pm
Mike, I have always wondered if there was some sort of protective "stickum" that can be purchased on a roll and then gently applied to Strata glass for protective purposes!  I work in a shop where nothing ever changes and anything new is regarded with suspicion so as a "grunt" I really have no way of knowing about things like that. 

The price of the stuff would, I'd think, make a that sort of product a pretty worthwhile thing... but what do I know?  (slobber, slobber, slobber.... oink, oink, oink). 

;)

jsquail

Quote from: Mike8560 on March 11, 2011, 09:24:55 am

So do ou have lunch at the Glouster house much ?
Been there many time the one hint I miss the most in Florida s the Ipswich clams.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Wrong Gloucester I think. I'm in virginia.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

fragged8

has anyone tried cling film on strat ?

Mike had to laugh at your post, my brother live in Ipswich ..
I don't think they have clams there though.

Rich

Mike8560

Gloucester mass us what I was thinking Jarret
Rich I think June puts a clink wrap on here's. 

JuneC

Yes, kitchen cling wrap (Saran Wrap, Glad Wrap, generic - not the adhesive backed stuff) will cling to the glass just fine.  It's time consuming putting it on (I apply it to both sides), you have to be careful not to sew through it or you'll have a heck of a time removing it (it shreds rather than pulling through or separating at the seam), and if you leave it on too long (say a week), the wrinkles in the wrap will mark the surface of the glass.  Having said that, it works really well.  And it's really fun after installing the enclosure to pull the wrap off the glass and have a perfectly clean/clear/no fingerprints enclosure - especially when the customer's in attendance.  And if the wrap does leave marks on the glass, be assured they'll disappear within a few days or weeks as heating/cooling will return the glass to it's original surface.  Still, I wouldn't leave it on for very long and even with the wrap on, I handle the pieces very delicately.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

thanks June I'm gonna try it , have been thinking
of using it for some time now .

theres nothing worse than sewing up a panel and
messing up on the glass ..

jsquail

Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

Lynn

i do the same as June, it works really well. I agree though that you definately don't want to leave it on too long, especially if it's super hot outside.

Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

Mike8560

Is the reason for the marks , wrinkles in the film?
I've not had marks from sewing the windows ontop of my astic pattern.