Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 01:19:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Why am I Still Getting Small "Puckers" on My Seams?

Started by stitchit, February 18, 2011, 08:34:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Mike, I suggested shortening the stitch because I figured the walk of the machine might be forcing too much fabric under the needle with every step.  And, also because when I was having trouble with the velour upholstery fabric a few weeks ago it was suggested to shorten the stitch some.  It worked!  But I do like to run a longer stitch when doing marine or awning work. 

Good news on the improved stitching, Stithit.  I wonder if you loosened the bobbin tension just a whisker if you couldn't bring the knot up just a smidge. 

As I said, I periodically back the tensions way off on all my machine and then work from there to readjust them.  I don't know how it happens but they do tighten up over time.  Must be those little elves that appear after we leave our shops, huh?

stitchit

Yes I did adjust the bobbin as well. I had no idea the tension increases overtime. Amazing to hear.

Here's one for ya's if you dont mind and have a minute--

Everytime I put the bobbin case into the machine, I end up having to remove it again and pull morevon the thread because it somehow develops this goofy little "loop" that created so much tension it would literally brake the thread. After taking out it would have a loop just coming out between bobbin & bobbin holder. I have to pull out excess of ten to 12 ft of thread b4 issue is cleared.  Too much thread on bobbin?

Mike8560

I use prewound bobbins and generaly have to
pull a bit of it off to thread properly.
Bobbin would the gunk that builds up between the tension disks
spread them and loosen the tention as if the spring was backed off ?  I really don't know much on the machine ice just sewed  and it's worked for me when outr juki messed up I've always taken it to a service facility.

Shoot I'll chance the needle and  guides But Ive never meesd with the ti
ing and stuff

bobbin

Honestly, Mike, I don't know if the gunk has much effect on the tension adjustments.  But I know that I periodically give the top tension a tweak and after several periodic tweaks there is no doubt the overall tension is affected.  But it's usually so gradual that I never really think about the cumulative toll all those "tweaks" have on the way the machine stitches. 

That's why I've gotten into the habit of backing everything way off (basically deliberately screwing up the tension!) and then patiently bringing it back into proper adjustment after a good cleaning.  ("spa day" for machinery).

I'm with you, though, on timing and that sort of thing.  I know the theory behind it all and could probably do it myself with the manual and parts book in front of me, but since I have issues like that about once a decade I'm more than willing to call the mechanic!  One of the biggest lessons I've learned over time is that paying a pro. to do something is money well spent.   (after all, that's why people pay me to sew for them!)

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Like my Dad says, "No two machines are the same". 

I know we got the problem corrected on this thread by checking for proper thread tension, but others may not be so lucky.  And, unfortunately, it shows most on Sunbrella and on long runs.  Sometimes, it could also be the needle size, feed timing, all kinds of stuff.  So it isn't always tensions as was the case here.