Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 04:41:03 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Replacing rear window in convertable without removing top from car?

Started by Pegasus2007, February 04, 2011, 03:29:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus2007

Is this possible?  Is there a way to glue in a new piece of vinyl and cut away the old after?

SHHR

If it's a one piece top like on a late model car, No. If it's an older car from the 70"s on back, usually the window was a separate panel from the whole top and can be removed easily and replaced.
I just did some repairs on a 98 BMW Z3 and one thing the owner wanted was the rear window replaced, but not a new top. I did it even though the quality didn't match a whole new top (it still was presentable). I still charged him the full labor for replacing the top since that is basically what I did, remove the fabric and re-install it, plus the time and material for the clear vinyl. I tried to up sell a whole new top, but he wouldn't have it even though the price wasn't much difference????????
Kyle

stitcher_guy

I've sewn in back curtains on the Z3s as well. Miami Corp has heavy gauge clear vinyl with the stamping in the corner and green tint like the original.

The first one I did, it sewed in ok. Naturally my sewing wasn't as perfect as factory sewing, but looked fine. But, yes, the only thing they saved was the money for buying the top.

The second one that came in a couple months later, I was in the process of removing the top to do the sewing, and the listings up underneath were tearing in my hands. the side channels holding the tension cables were disintegrated. I called teh customer and told them it was rotted, but was already half off. They had no choice but to buy a new top. And it turned out sooooo much nicer than that first car. This work even lead to installing Ruff Tuff custom fitted seat covers and making customer floor mats. She was thrilled with the end product.

TimsTrim

I/we could likely give you some better direction if we knew what kind of car you are talking about .As  for gluing in a new window... no.No glue made will bond the vinyl window to the convertible top for long.

stitcher_guy

It always amazes me how many customers (and some trimmers who have not dealt with tops on a consistent basis) believe the back "window" is separate from the curtain. I'll get one with the accent sewing rotted away and they want me to just resew the glass into the material. Ummm, hello?

I called Electron once years ago when a Mustang came in with the back glass pulled from from the heat bonding. Once it's completely gone, there's no regluing the glass back in and expecting any success. It is under so much tension to stay taught.

Chrysler Sebrings are horrid for losing the heat bonding around the glass. It is possible to use a glue such as Gorilla Glue and slow up the unbonding. If there is only an inch or two or area pulled up, get some GG down in there and let it reseal. I got my brother on this regimen years ago, and his Sebring glass stayed installed for another 5 years. I was in line dropping my kids off at school and saw a customer's car ahead and called her to let her know it was lifting. Got some glue in it and it will be safe at least through winter.