Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 03:42:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

these new-fangled car seats - in a bit of a quandry

Started by Unicorn, January 22, 2011, 06:28:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

I just stripped a couple of Astrovan seats to recover and install in our new-to-us motorhome.  I must say, having done mostly Studebaker seats and old truck seats, I'm impressed by the automotive industry's use of velcro.  The seats have a nice contour and the covers hug the buns really well. Bitch to get them off with all that velcro though.

Here's my quandry.  The velcro teeth are embedded in the bun, and the seams are overcast (serged) in a fuzzy yarn/thread.  I have a serger but it's for dressmaking. There's no way I'll be able to replicate the fuzzy on the new covers.  If I incorporate regular velcro fuzzy into these seams they just won't lay nice and flat like the originals.

The other issue (minor) is that the driver's seat has some damage to the foam. I can build it up from the underside and it will probably be okay, but it would be nicer if I could just replace the bun.  Is there someplace these can be purchased aftermarket new? and any idea of the cost? Or should I just use my credit at the wreckers and buy another seat with a good solid bun.  Seeing as they are the same for driver/passenger, another passenger seat would do the trick. They don't seem to get as abused as the driver's side.

Thanks for your input,

Judy

scarab29

If the velcro is in the channel it would work to sew it to the seam. You could go retro and use wire and hog rings but why re-invent the wheel.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Peppy

We've 'bound' the seam allowance with fuzzy velcro before. Not the best or easiest but it works. Use 2" and cut off the exesses. Gives you a little fudge room.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Unicorn

Thanks. I'll experiment with that - might also try some polar fleece, it's not as stiff and may just do the trick.