Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 02:34:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

It is time...... Getting a "zipper"

Started by Half-Fast, December 20, 2010, 06:06:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Half-Fast

Almost 6 years ago after my dad's successful open heart surgery, his surgeon was addressing the assembled immediate family members. He said that dad's condition was congenital....and everybody's eyes turned toward ME!  :o   Ok, I am pretty much as close to being a clone of my dad as anybody could be.

A thorough examination did in fact reveal that yes, not only did I have the family name, I've got the "curse" as well. We are prone to recieve bicuspid aortic valves which lead to aortic anuerysms. It probably killed my grandpa (of course, imaging technologies in the early '70s weren't anywhere near as capable as they are now). It killed an uncle. My dad and another uncle were fortunate enough to survive, though on the morning before dad's surgery was scheduled, he woke up in the grasp of congestive heart failure.

We've known that the day was coming, but it will happen 5-6 years before my original cardiologist estimated. I suffered a mild heart attack in August '07, and have thus far made three trips to the Cath-Lab (they tell me I'll qualify for either a nice toaster or a "home tool kit" if I visit them one more time!). As of last Thursday when I had an "echo..", the anuerysm had grown to 5cm. While the valve was still working ok, that 5cm measurement was the limit.

I'll have a CT scan and a "chemical" stress test on Wednesday. The next step, most likely next week, will be a trans-esophagal echo, and the fourth trip to the Cath-Lab to make sure that I don't have any blockages that need to be bypassed. A date for the surgery has not been set as of this time, but I'll keep everybody informed.

In the meantime, I appreciate, and thank you in advance for your prayers.

JuneC

Vislon or aluminum?  ::)  Seriously, though, that's pretty unsettling to find out.  Still it's better to have advance warning.  One of the guys I grew up with recently died from an aortic hemorrage - guess his aneursym was undiagnosed.   I do wish you the best.  It sounds as if your family will be there to support you through the rough times and help you stay focused.  Check in with us here when you feel up to it.  We'll be plugging for you!

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

December 20, 2010, 08:03:02 pm #2 Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:04:55 pm by Mike8560
its done Half Fast

dont worry about the trans-esophagal echo test( its over before you know it) I had a stroke a couple months back and it showed i have a small hole in my heart that has to be closed.

crap pluging the hole came loose and caused it yo occur
50 years worth i gueese
sux getting old

kodydog

Good luck Half-Fast. My father had an aneurysm. They fixed his with a stint. His operation was very successful. I hope yours is too. We'll keep you in our prayers.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

CKKC

You are in our prayers Half-Fast.    Take care of yourself!

Mojo

Prayers are being sent on your behalf.

Best of luck and be sure to keep us posted.

Chris

Darren Henry

Best wishes and I hope for a speedy recovery.

;) You could always make a fake will and show it to your doctor pre-op where he gets your mortgage payment/visa bill/annoying cousin %*(_+/ and your cat.  :P
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!