Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 18, 2024, 12:55:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ugghhh...camper slide out awnings

Started by kat, November 12, 2010, 08:22:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

Hello everyone, it has been a while since I have posted...been doing pretty well at the boat and auto seats I have been doing!
Now I am going to come to the experts on this one. On our own Motor home every single awning is ripped up and coming apart where they meet the motor home. My other half can get them off for me and all that good stuff....so tell me what should I know or be pre warned out  ;D
I will not have them off untill next weekend..using it this weekend...
What material do you recommend Ive seen some say Sunbrella and others using some laminated stuff
I know NOTHING about sewing these but looks Im going to learn FAST! ???
Thanks in advance!

Mojo

Kat:

I have done a boat load of research on RV awnings, especially slide out toppers and am just now starting to market my awnings for RV's in my area.

After working with Miami Mike I have come up with, what I think is the best awning for RV's based on assembly and materials.

I use Recacril. It is similar to Sunbrella with the exception it will not stretch. It i manufactured in Spain and the weave is awesome. There have been problems with RV awnings in relation to water pooling in the center. The big problem starts when the sun comes out and heats up the fabric and water which distorts the fabric. One of my old awnings had a distortion in the center where it stretched from pooling water.

But the biggest problem with awning failures is broken thread. The awning manufacturers are notorious for using cheap thread and fabric and then sew their awnings with single stitch runs. The thread breaks somewhere from degradation and the whole thing unravels.

I now make all of my awnings with double stitch runs and use Solarfix thread ( identical to tenara ).

So if you want the best awning you can make use Recacril Fabric, Solarfix ( 92 ) thread and then double stitch all ends.

I just made 4 new slide out awnings for my coach using all of these material and I am sold on them. Get in touch with Miami Mike ( he is a member here ) and he can set you up with all the material you need. His prices are very competitive.

Phone>800.543.0448

Direct> 513-298-5519

Direct Fax>513-298-5519

E-mail> mweunski@miamicorp.com

Also I started a thread on this same subject so do a search and you will find that discussion. I discussed the installation which BTW can be hazardous if you do not follow the manufacturers directions. These awnings have some pretty wicked  pre loaded springs inside the tubes.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Chris

kat

Thank you I will get a hold of mike I use miami for they are close to me here in ohio.
I am sure I will have more questions after we get them off!
Do they make a sample card for the recacil?

Mojo

Yes they do Kat. Call Mike and tell him you need a Recacril sample card and he will send you one. I matched my awnings to some of the paint in my coach. My coach is a tri color scheme so I selected burgundy.

I am really impressed with this fabric and am extremely happy because it is cheaper then sunbrella. :)

Find out the awning manufacturer and then follow their directions carefully. What your trying to do is not lose tension on the spring.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Chris

Darren Henry

The upholstery shop I run is part of an RV dealership. The first alarm that goes off is when you say Hubby is going to take the old awning down. Don't forget those ends are full of loaded springs. Some have locks,some you have to jam a piece of coat hanger through to keep the spring from breaking his wrist. The other thing that comes to mind is ; count the number of turns as you let the tension off (vice grips work great) so that you can re-apply the same tension when you reinstall.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Allan

Kat

There is some info at

www.fiammausa.com

that might be of help

Allan