Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 11:03:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Repair Kits

Started by Backwoods, November 04, 2010, 08:38:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Backwoods

Have any of you used or purchased vinyl/leather repair kits.

If so what kind and your thoughts.
Never forget our VETERAN's it is not a bad word it is an HONOR.      May GOD Bless Them

byhammerandhand

Yes, I used to do this, briefly, until I decided I really didn't like it and didn't do it often enough to get any good at it.

Forget the ones that you can buy at the discount big box or drug store.

The hardest problem with leather repair is getting an exact color match on the top coat.  You are basically mixing paint from a palette of colors.  And the paint changes color when it dries and maybe again when it has a clear top coat put on it.  To make matters worse, lighting can significantly affect the color perception.  One job I did looked good when I left by the next day the sun came in a different window and it did not match any more.  So I had to go and get the job done between 10 am and 2 pm.

The leather guy I use now is an artist by trade, but does leather repair to pay the bills.   He is really good at matching colors both because of his artist training and because of his experience with his palette of colors.

You'll need a way to spray, either with an air brush or a mouth siphon sprayer.

Some of the kits use "heat cure" filler.   I've found that this is not always long lasting as it can  get stiff and pop out.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

lruthb

I haven't found one that works well. It may be that I want that repair to last longer than it possibly can. It was a short term fix at best.

When I investiagated the possible repair process I found that the local auto dealers had a gentleman whom stopped regularily to see if they had work for him. 6 months to a year is what they expected it to last. I suppose they only cared to get it looking good for sale. I decided there and then if this pro only got those results that reapir work wasn't for me!

SHHR

Same as everyone else as the short time it looks good. My cousins husband owns a very popular detail shop in town, and has (had) a pro come in to do the repairs. I've seen the work and it looks good at first with a great color match almost undetectable, but in 6 months it needs re-done. I've just recently picked up all the work from him replacing panels instead of repairing and his customers are much happier too. The only time he uses the repair guy now is when he's detailing a car for a dealer that's going to unload it quick.
Kyle

JuneC

The pro guy (excellent work in the past) I use for the occasional minor vinyl repair on boats was out doing a job for me last week.  As we chatted, I asked about his business - assuming that he'd be super busy doing repairs on all the cheap junk imported from Asia.  He said that recently, it's "unrepairable".  His paints/dyes react with something in the cheap leather (or the dye they use on it) and turns it dark charcoal, almost black.  He also told me that Thomasville now manufactures in China.  Surprised the heck out of me. 

June 
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Backwoods

Thats all the answers I need it is just what I thought unless you are a master of a special thing leave it alone. Have had some questions on it from customers I basically told them I really didn't believe in it.
Never forget our VETERAN's it is not a bad word it is an HONOR.      May GOD Bless Them