Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 04, 2024, 11:54:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Lots of Work

Started by crammage, November 12, 2010, 09:37:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

crammage

To give a little info about myself, I started a part time upholstery and furniture repair business about five years ago here in Delano, MN.  I also work a full time job, fortunately I've been working from home over the last year after my employer closed the office I worked out of.  that saved me 10 hours of commuting every week.   :D

I been doing about 10 upholstery/repair pieces a year, not a lot but enough to keep up the skills and learn new ones and pay off a few bills.

However, all that has changed over the last few months.  I'm literally working TWO full time jobs right now.  Every day this week I've had someone call about another job.  And they are a mix of things, snowmobile seats, sofas, chairs, golf carts, truck seats, pillows, etc.

I don't really advertise, besides business cards at a couple of stores. 

I'm extremely happy about the work but I'm starting to get real tired.  :o

Just thought I'd share this little bit of good news.  If this keeps up I may have to make a career change. 

Mojo

The upholstery business seems to be cyclical in some areas of the country. Some also seem to have a steady stream of customers and work but others like myself see these cycles run in conjunction with the seasons.

I know down here in Florida I get clobbered in the winter time when all the snowbirds hit the State. I was so busy last winter that I didn't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt. Then the summer comes and your begging for something to do.

I would say enjoy this busy time because slow times hit all of us at one time or another. :)

Chris

Mike8560

Ya the phone is starting to ring here  chris

I'd priy keep the fast jobs like the sled seats

Peppy

You Floridians are lucky! I wish my summer was dead! I'd go enjoy it! I can have all the time off I want in February. Indeed I'm lucky to be working in February.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

crammage

I am not complaining in the least just curious as to why this year has taken off like it has.  The great thing is that since this is not our primary source of income I'm able to use some of the money I make to help others.  Since God is blessing me with the extra work I feel the least I can do it to helps others with it. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

I have lots of people saying that they are VERY busy.

Mike8560

Not to hijackbut peppy I used to like the dead winter with nit much to do bit watch movies and sell a little bait. Then I was
able to move to Florida and I never get ant vacation time.

sofadoc

Crammage: I don't know the situation in Delano, Mn., but is it possible a nearby shop has closed? I know that I often think that business is REALLY growing, when in fact, it's just that the competition around me is drying up. I always have plenty of work, but if another shop opened up in town, I'd be hurting.
I'm glad it's going good for you, but you might wanna hang onto that day job a little longer.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban