Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 10:50:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

canvas help guys

Started by jim fuchs, October 30, 2010, 09:00:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jim fuchs

hi guys ,could i ask you canvas guys  for a little help. there has been a lot of posts with how to do boat seats and stuff but no how to canvas . i would like to mke new canvas covers for my boats and skid loader canvas with wimdows . but dont have a clue how to make them have a print i made but how do you guys lay out the big stuff . it would help us new guy a bunch . maybe show some seams you use ect.   thanks jim

Darren Henry

there are plenty of threads about canvas as well Jim. Maybe try a different word/phrase when you go to the archive search.

There are two schools of thought as to patterning: Some will use a medium like plastic or craft paper to wrap the enclosure and mark the seams etc as the old top/whatever had been done. Others will use an oversized piece of the material and then trim it down to the marks. Either way you lay a "cocoon' over the frame and go " okay I need a seam here, I need a dart there, a zipper here would be handy, ....."
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JuneC

Every boat cover job starts with a little analysis.  If I'm replacing covers and the prior canvas maker was good, then I don't have to think much - just replicate what he/she did.  I don't use the old canvas for a pattern, just as a guide as to where to put seams, etc.  If you'll post a pic or two of your boat and some words about what kind of cover you'd like, we can help you design it and tell you how to get started.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

I watched a canvas guy do a boat once. He did very nice work. He measured the boat with frame on. Sewed the pieces together at the rails of the frame, put one snap center for and aft and went from there marking what needed to be done. Looked so simple that I knew I would mess it up. I am a pretty good pattern maker but never tried a boat top. Some day I will. I have mine done by the canvas guy  ;D
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

jim fuchs

what im getting at is do you guys lay the canvas out . must take a big area on the floor . and for seams do you roll the saem with a  1/2 heam  then sew the the 60 in seams . or back up to the other then sew 1 inch seam and then roll to 1/2 inch and sew flat ... how about the edge on bottom do you sew eny stiffener in that seam to hold eyelets for tiedowns .. jim   thanks guys  the basics are the hard parts to get ..

fragged8

October 31, 2010, 04:17:31 pm #5 Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 04:31:45 pm by fragged8
hiya

If i were you I'd start small, maybe like a bicycle or a cover for a generator
or something. 50% of the principals you need to learn can be learnt on
small stuff and you won't waste a fortune on materials.

then think about buying one of the DVDs from Northcoast or
marine canvas training.

MCTI have some samples on youtube, and you can rent
some of their dvds at smartflix i think if you are in the US.

http://smartflix.com/store/category/14/Boats

of course if you rented them you'd have to back them up for
safety  :D

Peppy

Everybody has their own way of doing things, and none of them are wrong. I say look at what your local competition does, or look at the perceived 'best' tops in your local marinas. Then 'emulate' what they do. Seems everyone want's their top to look like their neighbors anyway. Whether they use a 2" hem and centerfold binding, or waterstop/stopleak and doublefold sunbrella binding or what ever, customers will probably want what they've seen before. But really you'll just have to figure out what you like to do.

We build paper patterns then cut them up to lay on the roll on the table. No center seams for us. 1/2" seam always, topstitched. 2"piece/hem of sunbrella or waterstop with 7/8" centerfold binding at the snaps. If there's more than a few turnbuckles it's a 2" piece otherwise its waterstop.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

scarab29

Don't forget the sticky tape. Seam tape that is. I use a 2" poly webbing atound the edge on my cockpit covers for the reinforcement  for snaps , grommets etc. 1/2" on the seams and topstitch as mentioned above. Covers i'll blanket and fit on the boat. Enclosures , like your skid steer , you'll want to make a pattern. I use canvex pattern material. Have also used clear shrink wrap to patttern. That sticky tape will help you hold the pattern material on and get a good fit for your pattern as you can easily re position the pattern material for best fit. Those videos will give you a great start and a lot of ideas.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Highvelocity

It's great to see someone else get going.  I have been doing it for 3 years now and every project gets better.  If I could only give you a few gems of advice it would be to leave your runs longer than you need until the last moment.  The sinking feeling you get when you are 2 inches to short...not good.    When you take in material around a windshield it gets shorter at the seam, so again, leave it longer until it's sewed then trim it

good luck,
  Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

jim fuchs

thanks guy this is what i needed, on the front door on the loader i want to put
plastic windows in it how heavy should i use . i want the door stiff can i layer a pc of plastic to make it solid . will install snaps around cage to install it and a set of hinges on fron door  with a latch . jim

Mike8560

November 01, 2010, 02:26:26 pm #10 Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:28:48 pm by Mike8560
i woulr go no ledd then 40 gusge its agout as b thick on a toll as youl get
\

Darren Henry

Quotei want the door stiff can i layer a pc of plastic to make it soli

Your bio is empty so don't know where you're at etc.. but if you get snow/ frost , I wouldn't double up the plastic. If you're old enough to remember "frost shields" on car windows ; remember they were air tight sealed. Layered plastic will be a condensation vault
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

November 02, 2010, 03:50:08 pm #12 Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:51:59 pm by Mike8560
I thinO he meant to  stiffenen.    Where there was no window in the cavas.
So yes you could.