Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 06:41:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Calling bright ideas dept !

Started by Grebo, October 13, 2010, 06:40:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

October 13, 2010, 06:40:48 am Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:42:54 am by Grebo

This guy wants a cover over the main sail  ???, I could have a few more of the same, if I / We  ;D can come up with a good design.
I am guessing I need to use a halyard to pull it up with, there is a 'spare' turning block for a spinaker pole on the leading edge of the mast.  ::)
All ideas welcomed  :D
BTW he is over 6ft tall  :(

PS.. June I can't seem to knock out the adds from photobucket any more, if I delete the "action & view" the picture will not enlarge when you click it.  :(

fragged8

hiya

using the spinny up haul is about the only way you can do it
unless you add a pulley to the to the spreaders.

I take it with the in mast furling  he doesn't want the opening in the
mast covered all the way to the top ? just the portion of the sail uncovered.

Just a thought, if the in mast furling stows the sail why is there some of the sail
left out side the mast anyway ???

could it just be an adjustment thing ?

Rich

Grebo

Quote from: fragged8 on October 13, 2010, 07:56:44 am

Just a thought, if the in mast furling stows the sail why is there some of the sail
left out side the mast anyway ???

could it just be an adjustment thing ?

Rich

Good point, I will ask.  :-[

JuneC

testing...

Works for me, Grebo.  Sure you clicked/edited the right photobucket set of tags?  I used the code generated in the 3rd box down the page - thumbnails for message boards and removed the
                      ?action=view&current=
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

THEDUDE

October 13, 2010, 06:54:26 pm #4 Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 07:02:04 pm by THEDUDE
We just sew a sunbrella  or a uv protected dacron cover directly to the sail , on both sides. ( a little more than what stcks out of the mast) It should be done with a zig zag machine. This is the only way I have ever seen it done.

Grebo

October 14, 2010, 12:52:25 am #5 Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:56:13 am by Grebo
Well Rich, the answer is the corner of the sail is to thick to go right in. All the reinforcing etc. Probably a bit more than is showing here, but not much.

Dude I don't do sail work. Don't have the machine or the space.  ???

testing...     :-[  got that wrong then, I must have left in a = or ?
thanks June.

fragged8

hiya

i'd just make 2 triangles sewn along 1 edge only,  the 2 corners above the sail
put in 2 grommets
and the corner below that put another 2 grommets

and a single grommet where the boom car is.

fix the spinny uphaul to the top corner, fix a bungee to the bottom corners
and a bungee to the boom car corner.

Allan

If it was mine I would release the sail so it gathers at the mast and then make a sock to go around the mast as high as the lower spreaders similar to a headsail sock made from sunbrella or similar

Allan

fragged8

hiya

sounds like a good idea Allan as long as the sail doesn't try to unfurl inside the mast.

Allan

Rich

You should be able to lock the furler by the line or mechanism you use to furl it in the first place

Allan