Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 11:25:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Questions about supplementary fabrics/materials

Started by kdeck, October 11, 2010, 07:29:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kdeck

Background:

My first was upholstering a piano seat bench, that was a cakewalk. I'm on my second. I'm working on an off the line love seat. I've stripped the love seat down to the springs, and created a cutting plan for the top fabric.

It's my intention to rebuild the couch with the same types of fabrics and materials as much as possible. (Mind you this is not an heirloom piece of furniture, I'm mostly doing this for the

The sinuous springs were covered with a densified polyester batting (3/8" thick) on the seat and a strong interfacing on the back. The same interfacing was used as stretcher for the inside back and the inside arms.

Also, I've read the the best fabric for the deck is denim.

Questions:

Do I need to use these fabrics? What are my other options? I have not yet been able to find matches, I have not found, yet, a polyester batting that is strong or dense like the stuff that was on the couch. The same goes for the interfacing, I have found some stuff that is similar, but seems to tear easily.

The only denim I've found seems to be for making jeans. I know there is other denim; what should I be looking for?

Does it matter what type of fabric I use as a top cover stretcher/extender?

What is your preferred material for the dust cover on the bottom?

What are your recommendations? Where should I be looking for these materials? (I've only been in a local fabric store so far.)

The interfacing on the inside back, also shows the old deck material

Close up of the interfacing

Shows the densified polyester batting

sofadoc

October 11, 2010, 08:33:04 pm #1 Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:35:19 pm by sofadoc
Most suppliers refer to dust cover as Accord, or Cambric. The padding over the springs is probably 1/2" dense polyester (you could use 1/2"foam).
You can use Burlap, or a synthetic equivalent to cover back springs.
The cloth under the cushions is usually called denim decking, or deckcloth.
If you're just buying enough to do one job right now, you're probably not going to get a really good price on supplies. Do you plan to buy supplies in bulk?
I don't know what part of the country you're in, so I don't know who to recommend.
Have you clicked the "Suppliers" tab at the top of the page?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Unless the covering on the seat springs and back are bad in some way you don't need to replace them. If they are lose just tighten them up. Remove the staples and refasten tighter. If you need to replace them burlap is a good choice.
  Use and decent fabric for the upholstery material. If your just doing this one piece you might try an upholstery shop for the denim and cambric. The cambric can be almost anything. You could use the fabric from home depot that is used as a gardening fabric for the cambric.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kdeck

Sofadoc: I live in Utah, as far as I know, the only national supplier with a local office is Keyston Bros. I don't have an account at I'm not established as a business. I'll keep ordering stuff online, and work on getting more stuff in bulk.

My biggest challenge in buying in bulk is knowing WHAT to buy since I am just learning what I'll actually go through to do any piece of work. I will check out the suppliers through this website.

MinUph, thanks for the tips. I'll use both of your advice and suggestions. This website is awesome!

MinUph

As a FYI..
  Most times when reupholstering there is no need to remove the old filling. Disturbing it just makes for more work. Unless it is damaged or bad in some way just leave it in place. Remove the fabric carefully not to disturb the filling. Add a layer of cotton or Dacron on top for a clean slate. You can fill in any low spots where peoples arms lay or head and make an indentation in the filling with cotton by feathering the edges and when you put the new piece of cotton or Dacron on top it is all smooth again.
  Many DIYers will take it all off and think they need to start with everything new. This is not the case. Of course if the filling smells, is rotted, or in some way bad this doesn't hold true. But 95% of the time the old fill is good to re-use.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kdeck

That's a really great point, and not something that I've actually seen articulated before.

This time I'm glad I did take it apart this time, mostly for the visual education and also one of the springs needs to be replaced. But I can see how this advice will save me tons of money and time in the future.