Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 05:18:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Automotive headlining and carpet sources for customs and luxury

Started by jeandeau, October 04, 2010, 01:41:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jeandeau

Who  has alternatives to the standard eldorado and detroit carpets?.  Also, any suggestions on good color selection or novel headlining materials for custom rods and cruisers?
thanks in advance.

ncydmn

I have used the Daytona carpet from ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) for quite a few years.  It is a foam backed carpet that was original equipment on tri-five Chevy Belairs.  It is somewhat forgotten about by most.  In February of this year I finished a 40 Ford coupe with there bronze color.  It has received more attention than any of the black or grey I used on others.  Must just be the bright color that draws the attention.  They also have the gros point and square weaves that are popular in the high end rods. 
     As for the headliners, I use the same material as the seats and doors.  I feel it keeps the interior cleaner with fewer colors and texture changes.   You can check it out at the link below.  It is hard to see the tight weave it has in the picture.  You can also see larger veiws on there web site or request a sample.  Roy.

http://roykeithclassics.com/G3_40_Coupe.html

Auto Custom Carpet link
http://www.stockinteriors.com/requestsample.asp?id=20101004225349

stitcher_guy

I'm with Roy on the headliners. I like to use the same material on the tops that I put on the doors and seating. It looks completed and finished that way. I do run an extra support down teh middle of the bows if I'm going back with the traditional bow-type headliner. The vinyl can be heavy and I don't want bows to flip under pressure.

As for carpet, I just did a 32 Ford using the Gros Pointe from ACC. It looks classy. I glue my carpet down, and problem with the GP, once you stick it, it is STUCK. There is no lifting it and getting it to peel up. It tears out chunks of the foam backing.

But I've found that I normally use the 80/20 nylon cut pile or the 500 series loop pile carpet from ACC. What makes it go from stock looking to eye popping is how you lay it out and edge it.