Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 12:48:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Smoked Capacitor

Started by Backwoods, October 08, 2010, 10:24:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Backwoods

My capacitor just smoke on my pfaff machine had to put the head on my other machine to finish a job. Does anyone know where to get one. Without all the hassels you have to go through.
Never forget our VETERAN's it is not a bad word it is an HONOR.      May GOD Bless Them

SHHR

I'm probably gonna make myself look stupid saying this, but are you talking about a "start" cap on the motor? If so just look at the rating on it and go to any electrical contractor supply co. and they'll have them. I put one on the blower motor in my home furnace last year and it was only 6 or 7 dollars.
Kyle

SHHR

I might add Be carefull unhooking your old one. Use dry leather gloves and insulated handled pliers. Capacitors store power to turn on the motor with a burst of energy so the motor doesn't "drag" and burn up. If it has any juice still in it, it can unload on you.

skegfish

Sure fire way to test your capacitor... take your mulit-meter set for continuity, touch the two terminals of the meter to two terminals of the cap. the meter should show a rise then drop.... then test again switching the terminals, should get the same rise then drop...... if you get nothing the cap is bad!
jeff in PA

ajlelectronics

But make sure it is discharged first! Screwdriver across the terminals will do that.