Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 11:40:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ideas on seat covers

Started by SHHR, October 06, 2010, 03:15:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SHHR

I thought I would run this by you guys to see what you think. I was at the chiropractor today for an adjustment. I've also done work for them covering waiting room chairs, adjustment tables, and gym equipment. Anyway the receptionist asked about making covers for her jeep seats. Her jeep is blue but has the "spice" colored seats and wants them to match the outside.

I guess my Idea of seat covers and hers are two different ideas. She was apparently asking about the slip on covers while I was talking about a true re-cover job. I went on to tell her for price, she could probably order a set of aftermarket covers and either install or have me do it, She went on to say "oh, those are usually so cheap and don't fit well anyway" to which I replied to do it right we'll just re-cover the seats the way you guys and I would. However, she still talks about just making covers. I said give me a few days to work up a couple estimates and get back with her.

Any way here's my question: have any of you had muck success in just making decent covers that can be removed easily? I know she's undoubtedly thinking about cost, but in the long run my time won't be much different with patterning, cutting, and sewing. I just won't have the time to strip and re-install the new (as well as could be anyway).

What's your thoughts?
Kyle

Unicorn

I've done a couple of sets to dog-proof the seats in our vehicles, and in my brother's van.  I use a gortex type of fabric for the sits part, and a stretch fabric to go around the base and across the back - last time round I went to the cheap stuff outlet and got some sweater ribbing wide enough to go across the back of the seat.  There's enough stretch in this to pull it over the backrest and get a snug fit.  The front is made with an extra width in the centre that can tuck between the back and the base, and then a strong elastic is sewn at the front skirt and velcro'd to the tuck at the back.

stitcher_guy

How long can you wait??? I'm currently waiting on material samples and a mini-size sample seat from RUFF TUFF seat covers. If it is solid workmanship, then it's going to be my cross-over from the cheapo auto parts store covers and me doing full-on fitted covers.

I don't really like to do slip over covers except the clear vinyl ones for work trucks and farm trucks. Otherwise, I'm like you, I'd rather just make new seat covers. I have the catalog, and I've got a friend willing to pony up the money to try a set of these covers. He had a cheapo set on, and the big round tube that snugs between the seat back and base really tore up his cloth. I'm hoping these covers will fit nice and protect the seats.

I'll give you an update as soon as the samples arrive.

SHHR

Russ, keep me updated on these covers. I'm going to try to sell her new "real" covers. I don't know really if she's wanting it done right now or just wanting an estimate to save up for. I'll get more of an idea next week.
Thanks,
Kyle