Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 11:50:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dying in situ

Started by jojorose, August 25, 2010, 11:13:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojorose

Has anyone ever dyed a fabric whilst actually on frame?

Client has asked me to recover a recliner because its not the right colour.  She wants to go from cream to brown.  The fabric is a cotton velvet but in really really good nick.  Ive told her I wont do it, as Im very part time now and my hours elsewhere would mean a very slow turnaround.  Because its a recliner we cant just do a loose cover and shes up for a big bill for something that frankly doesnt need doing.

However, in the recesses of my mind I remember dying.  Any suggestions and if you have where would she get the supplies needed?

PS Hi guys to those that remember me.  I am alive and kicking just not upholstering anymore for public just for pleasure.

Jojo

gene

No, to your question. I have seen commercials where folks spray paint their furniture. I've did a google to check it out and I have trouble believing it is a good product, but, you never know.

Going from a light color to a dark color would make it's chances of looking decent more possible.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike8560

Hi jojo
I remember someone posting a vid here of someone spraying a new color on a sofa.

mike802

I recover a lot of furniture that really does not need it.  People redecorate their home and change color, or the look and want something different.  I even had one person send me furniture directly from the store to have me reupholster in a fabric she could not buy the furniture in.  I have tried dyes before, mostly automotive and was not really happy with its ability to hold up over the long haul.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com