Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 01, 2024, 12:15:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Riddle me this

Started by fragged8, August 21, 2010, 04:40:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hiya

My step dads Bayliner has a camper back on it and the rear section is zipped in place
but the removable curtain appears larger than the hole it fills so tha the zippers
are recessed inside the main panel by about 2" ( give or take a bit )

is this done by marking sloped sides to the opening,
leaving the material a bit long and cutting the opening you want
then sliding it up a couple of inches ?

or by making a new panel and discarding the opening you cut out ?

sort of like on this jeep top.
http://www.bartonsupholstery.com/images/Jeep%20Top%20blue%20and%20pink%20binding.jpg

Mike8560

im not sure what you meen by sliding it up what i do is id make the top then pattern the back curtian seperatly making it larger then the opening to have the overlap on the zipper like on the jeep tops.

hirsutus

If you do the math, you'll see that 4 inches of overlap (2" each side), with a (per side) taper angle of 5°, will require you to slide-up the removed panel around 23 inches. With a taper angle of 3° your slide-up jumps to 38". That jeep looks to be somewhere between 2° and 3°. It wouldn't seem economical to do it that way, probably better to cut a fresh panel for the insert. Interesting concept though.

hirsutus.

fragged8

hiya

Thanks guys, ( Do the math ? )  i can barely count using my fingers hehehe

I was a little confused with the overlapping , I had it in my head that there was no way
a fresh piece of fabric was used as that was a bit wasteful. But i couldn't see any other way
of doing it except sliding the cut out piece up, and the only way to make that work is to taper the
sides as vertical sides wouldn't give you an overlap at all.

Anyway, thanks Mike and hirsutus I understand how it was made now.

Rich