Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 06:20:20 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dangerous Job

Started by kodydog, November 05, 2017, 04:39:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

When I was just out of HS I worked in a shop with 10 guys most yelling Spanish curse words to overcome the noise of the machines.  No safety requirements  - no eye wash fountain - maybe a box of band aids in the office  - poor ventilation - always in a hurry - space heaters pointed at 5 gallon buckets of contact cement to keep it flowing - no dust collection system - trip hazards like wires running across the floor - the boss yelling in Italian to get the jobs done - ate lunch with dust settling around us -   never injured and there was always something telling me to be careful no matter what's going on around me.
I went to visit my old boss last year - he's 85 and still has his hands in the business - and in his blood. 
SA

kodydog

November 11, 2017, 04:52:04 pm #16 Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:54:21 pm by kodydog
I'v got to tell you, I have met many carpenters/trimmers/wood workers who are missing one or 1/2 finger. The guy who built my shop is missing 1/2 digit. An elder upholsterer in this area, now retired has two fingers missing on one hand.

Be careful out there folks.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

When I got starved out of making shoes I sub contracted for a guy doing camp maintenance and light construction. One day we were making kitchen cabinets for a camp we were building and he told me to run this tiny piece of wood through the table saw. I started looking for a push stick and says " just hold it by the corner here" . During the ensuing argument I had to point out that he only had 5 digits left and that I intended to keep all 10 of mine.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Quote from: kodydog on November 11, 2017, 10:15:47 am

2. Never distract someone who is using a power tool. Always wait until they are done before you get their attention.

Ed, we have this rule at our shop. If I am in the machine shop working or if someone is sewing we stay clear and do not talk to them.

Mojo

Grebo

Urgh  I wish I hadn't read this thread.
Could you put a warning label on it ..lol..

Suzi

Mojo

Speaking of safety does anyone remember when June ran her fingers under the foot of her machine ? She posted a pic of her finger and the needle stuck in it. That photo left a lasting impression on me and it is why I have a tool pouch hanging on every machine in our shop. To remove the foot in the event it happens to me or someone else.
It does no good to have tools 3 ft away when your hand is mated to your machine.

I have ran my finger against the foot numerous times and causes an instant moment of shear panic. The foot hits your finger and it scares the hell out of you.

Mojo

kodydog

Thankfully the closest I have come to pricking my finger with a needle was after the machine had stopped. I hit the point of the needle and put a nice gash in my finger.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

I once stapled web of my hand to a chair. I was alone, and could just stretch to reach the diagonals to pull the staple out and free my hand. It hurt like hell and lasted a long time from stretching the skin to reach the pliers.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Paul how did you manage that?

MinUph

Not paying attention I guess
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I think just before you get hurt something is telling you this procedure is risky.  Whether you let your common sense deter you or not is left to chance.  I was carving a leg years ago and stuck a chisel in my hand - I knew I was pushing the chisel toward my other hand but never thought I'd slip.  I cut the nerve - it took 15 years before the other nerve took over the area of the damaged nerve of my index finger then I got the feeling back.  This was 35 years ago and it made me a very careful person around tools....... Sorry Suzi :)
SA

MinUph

Steve I think your right in that we know it is not the best idea to do what we are doing just before we have an accident. I guess we should listen to our inner selves more. An occasional small accident does make you more aware once again. Keeping that "fear" is the trick.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I have had many a day this year I just closed up the machine shop and went home. I was tired and knew I was an accident waiting to happen. I can think of better things to do when you are tired or out of sorts then screw with a band saw, drill press, grinders, cut off saws, metal shears, etc.

Mojo

65Buick

I have learned firsthand that nerves do re-grow, albeit very slowly.
My accident has lifetime consequences. Sometimes it isn't even your tool, it's how you're doing it.

Grebo

Yes I remember that well, like wise, since then I keep a small tool kit right by the main machine & basic screw drivers by the others.

It's ok Steve I wont look. :-)

Had my finger 'pinched' a few times by the walking foot, scares the **** out me every time.

Suzi

Quote from: Mojo on November 14, 2017, 05:13:53 am
Speaking of safety does anyone remember when June ran her fingers under the foot of her machine ? She posted a pic of her finger and the needle stuck in it. That photo left a lasting impression on me and it is why I have a tool pouch hanging on every machine in our shop. To remove the foot in the event it happens to me or someone else.
It does no good to have tools 3 ft away when your hand is mated to your machine.

I have ran my finger against the foot numerous times and causes an instant moment of shear panic. The foot hits your finger and it scares the hell out of you.

Mojo