Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 01:14:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sourcing Decorative Nailhead/Tacks

Started by D3Gilmore, August 03, 2017, 11:13:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

D3Gilmore

I need to purchase additional decorative tacks for two dining room chairs I am reupholstering for a client. Since I am only reupholstering the backs of the chairs, not seats, I need the new decorative tacks to match the same tacks on the seat.

Sounds simple, but since I don't keep boxes and boxes of decorative tacks on hand (I have 3 that I typically use), I source them online.  It is so hard to see the true color or finish of the tacks and I really don't want to buy a box of 250 or 1000 to find out they really aren't what I'm looking for.

There is another upholsterer in my area, and I thought I would visit his shop to see if I could "source" them from him (and purchase from him this time), but for future projects, I can't keep going back to the same upholsterer to get gouged on tacks that I know I can buy cheaper by the box.

I don't need 250,  just 37 per chair.  I am looking for a box of 100 for safe measure (or is that not even enough)?  I don't know if I should attempt to get sample boards from a distributor or hope that the pictures on the internet are "close enough to the originals"?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

sofadoc

If there's only 37 per back, I assume that there's a similar amount per seat? So maybe 75-100 total per chair?

I normally pay $23 for a box of 1000. I usually stock French Natural, and a couple of darker shades, plus pewter and chrome, and Oxford.

If I were you, I would just bite the bullet and get a box of 1000. And plan on replacing all the nails (seat and back) if necessary. Then you'll have the rest for future jobs.

If I had what you're looking for, I'd be happy to send you just a 100.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Without a nail board you can't really tell what is what. Dennis's comment is probably the best advise. Just replace them all and be done with it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

August 04, 2017, 06:14:48 am #3 Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:15:53 am by kodydog
There are so many different shades. Sometimes even when I buy the same shade from the same company they come slightly different. Either do like Dennis said or get a sample from where ever you decide to buy them and show it to the customer. Give her the choice of replacing them all or do the back in a slightly different shade. I'm guessing most people will not care if it is slightly different. BTW I just bought a case of brass tacks. It'll last me 6 or 7 years.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

I don't know if this will be of an use, but, when I went to get some screws for a chair, I found decorative tacks at my local Ace Hardware.

SteveA

I doubt they are professional quality -
SA

gene

Jo Ann Fabric sells some decorative tacks. Sunshine Foam in Cincinnati sells them. They have a board for $42.00 that you could buy if you were going to be doing a lot of decorative tacks. It has 20 or 30 different decorative tacks on it.

Doing only the back you may be able to get away with the new tacks being a bit off from the old tacks.

I have never tried to match old tacks to new tacks. Sunlight, heat, cold, age, finish... too many variables to get it right.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on August 04, 2017, 06:14:48 am
BTW I just bought a case of brass tacks. It'll last me 6 or 7 years.
How many boxes are in a case?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

6- 1000 pc boxes from Massasoit in Ma.

D3Gilmore

Thanks for the suggestions - I went to count how many decorative nails are in the seat, and there are significantly more than the back.  Also, I am only reupholstering the two captain chairs - there are 6 more side chairs with the same nailhead, so I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms and make the two end ones different.

I have been trying to source similar 3/4" antique brass or maybe it's antique bronze, but the pickings are slim.  I can see why this could be a headache and just easier to change it all out - makes sense that oxidation, etc., can affect the look from old to new. My bid to reupholster these seat backs doesn't include changing out the seat nailhead.  I would rather find something "close" than replace all the seat nailhead on my dime/time.

Decisions decisions.

kodydog

August 06, 2017, 05:50:58 am #10 Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:55:01 am by kodydog
The best part of being in business for yourself is you get to make the decisions. I worked for a guy who told all of his customers that brass nail heads were old fashion and out dated. Nobody uses them anymore. I don't know how he got away with this statement because you can walk into any furniture store and see brass nails on some of the furniture.

He knew how long it takes to put them on, it's a time hog and profits are hard to make. This is true but the end result is stunning.

But he was the boss and all I could do was stand there and keep my mouth shut.

baileyuph

In situations like this (tack matching, etc.) I have carefully removed the tack and reused
them.  They matched!

Perhaps, the condition of old tacks prohibit this option.

Doyle

D3Gilmore

Quote from: DB on August 06, 2017, 07:03:50 am
In situations like this (tack matching, etc.) I have carefully removed the tack and reused
them.  They matched!

Doyle, that is my game plan for now but having a "close match" at the ready. I'll remove carefully and see what I get. I even thought about pulling some tacks from the back of the seat bottoms and using them on the upper seat backs  since they will be more visible there and replace the seat back ones with "new similar".