Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 05:34:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dining Chair Cushions - w/o Tiebacks

Started by D3Gilmore, July 29, 2017, 08:34:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

D3Gilmore

I have a client wanting cushions for her dining chairs but doesn't want tiebacks. 

She doesn't want them adhered to the wood bases, just on top.  My first thought its, that's not a good idea without at least tiebacks. 

1) What type of foam would you recommend if the cushions are only going to be 1-2" thick (at most)?  The 2.7/50 was what I was thinking, but since the foam isn't very thick, wasn't sure if it would still be uncomfortable.  Would you mix a 1" firm with a 1" medium?

2) If I can persuade the client to use a grippy type of material for the underside, what have others used to combat slippery seats?

I was still planning to put zipper plackets on the back.  My experience is that the higher-end cushions always do.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Deana

sofadoc

Would your customer be opposed to tabs with a snap fastener that would attach to a stud mounted on the rear underneath side of the seat frame?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

kodydog

My personal preference for foam thickness on dining seat pads is 1-1/2" and then wrapped with Dacron. To me 1" is too thin and I can feel the base underneath. 2" is too thick and looks a little odd. One thing to consider is the height of the chair. A comfortable height for most people is between 18" and 21". Some dining chairs are designed with no consideration for pads and are therefore built somewhat tall. If your chair seat is already at 20" it doesn't give you much room for padding.

In your case the customer has already decided buying from a big box store is not an option. So she came to you for custom cushions. This means you have to build them to fit the personal comfort level of this customer. Bring several samples of foam to her house and let her try them. If she likes the 1" that's great, If she likes the 2" that"s great too. Same goes with medium or firm foam.

Building a foam core with firm in the middle and medium on each side would be very comfortable but consider the extra time it would take to fabricate these and charge accordingly.

Ties are nice for holding a cushion in place and I really like Sofa D's snap idea. My dining chair pads have ties but are never used. These chairs have rush seats and are contoured to fit a persons bottom side. The pads are filled with kaypok. They are covered with a thick woven soft fabric. They meld into that contoured seat and do not move. A foam core pad on a flat seat without ties is going to be a problem. I've never used the "grippy type of material" method but it seems like it would work. It works for rugs, right?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html