Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 01:23:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Steel webbing question

Started by els, May 09, 2017, 07:19:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

els

Hello all from the UK. I have a question I hope someone can help with. I have a sofa where the springs are supported from underneath by strips of what looks like 3cm wide x 20cm x 2mm thick sprung steel which are riveted together to form a supporting lattice framework. One of them has snapped and I'm having trouble trying to find any kind of replacement. Does anyone know what sort of steel I need? Presuming I can't just go out and buy any sort of thing. I've googled "steel strip upholstery" but not a lot come's up for the sort of thing I need.

Thanks!

kodydog

the "riveted together" part has me scratching my head. Are the springs coil shaped?  I have worked with this stuff with much success. It fastens to the bottom of the frame and the coil spring slips through a raised hole. Might want to post a picture.

http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/3B0001.html 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on May 09, 2017, 11:11:13 am
I have worked with this stuff with much success. 
Same here. In fact, so much success that I don't think I've ever had to replace a broken one. I've had a few that came loose from the frame, but never broken.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Shipping can cost to the UK; but I don't see why you can't improvise a solution - or there must be a supplier in the UK
SA

Darren Henry

I believe Grebo over in Spain gets alot of her supplies from the UK. She isn't on very often anymore. You might want to look her up on our members list and send her a PM.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

May 11, 2017, 05:25:38 am #5 Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:26:38 am by gene
I stripped down an antique club chair yesterday down to the wooden frame. This chair is probably early 1930s. There were 3 sets of jute webbing across the bottom where upholsterers simply added a new set of jute webbing each time the deck began to sag, and then there was a final set of metal straps as a last ditch effort to not have to mess with the seat springs.

The chair had only been reupholstered once before.

The metal straps were in good shape, the spring ties has pretty much broken and I had springs sticking out the bottom and up through the decking fabric.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

els

Hi all, thanks so much for the posts. I can't really take a picture so I've made a little sketch that hopefully will explain things. The strapping in the link looks good but if anyone knows what sort of metal strips I need that would be great!

byhammerandhand

Would this work? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-4-in-x-10-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Hanger-Strap-339232/100167964

No idea how the gauge compares, but all the big boxes, Fastenal and Grainger carry something like this.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

That is to hold pipe on the ceiling. It won't hold springs for more than a week or so. Good idea though just to thin. Better to go with an all new solution and get rid of the bolted together contraption.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Paul makes a good point. Two broken straps show this is a flawed design. Even if you give no guarantees the customer will come back to you if it or other straps fail.

My first thought is to rip out all that metal webbing and replace with jute webbing. The problem is, and I'm just guessing here, usually on those drop in units the springs are narrow at the bottom. This means there is nothing there to fasten the spring to the webbing, I'm guessing the rivet attached the spring to the metal webbing.

My next thought it to rip out the metal webbing and springs and replace the whole thing with jute webbing and new coil springs. 8-way tie the whole thing and have the best seating possible. This would be the best possible solution. But the problem with this scenario is it will drive up the cost. Passably to the point of "not worth it."

My next thought is to use a 1/8 inch thick metal bar and secure it to the bottom of the frame with screws. This is not a conventional method but will get the job done. Then all you have to do is figure out how to attach the spring to the bar.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html