Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 07:48:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

reusing horsehair stuffing

Started by stegen140, September 16, 2016, 10:11:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stegen140

Hello,

I'm reupholstering mid century club chair and want to reuse horsehair stuffing. Several websites suggested putting hair in pillow case and machine or hand washing. Another option is to steam the hair which I favor in order to maintain the current shape of the hair which would make it easier to reapply to chair.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thank you.

MinUph

I've never cleaned hair. If it was terribly soiled or had anything in it I would throw it away but can't say I've ever experienced that. If it is dusty it might contain other than hair. I just carefully try to keep it all together if possible and place it back on. If it gets messed up I will re-pick it and make it as a new pad. In my opinion hair is still the best filling. last forever and had great padding properties.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

Kim Buckminster is a master at horsehair.   He does not seem to hang out here much, but watches the Facebook page, if you want to post there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAlkNKnCU5k
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Thanks Keith that's a great link, I know its a daily thing for many here and its pretty cool watching it happen.

Floyd