Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 02:12:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Robots doing our work

Started by baileyuph, August 13, 2016, 08:07:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Robots will need some attention by a worker - right?  Why do we need them?  Well, it is to save the cost or reduce the labor cost.  But, they aren't cheap, not that they aren't competive.  If your volume doesn't justify one and we can't compete without a robot then that signals the end to our business - right?

Robots are only justified when the volume is strong and is very repetitive, even then they will need attention plus maintenance.  Imagine a robot that screws up a lot of products or whatever it is associated with.  Sounds like we might consider being a robot repairman.

Interesting stuff.

Doyle

SteveA

I'm seeing some incredible copy machines out there that can do a computer scan of an object and make an exact copy of a wood object.  They always had mass production machinery but now the machinery can do one offs.  The problem is that if you only need one the costs are way too high.  What would take me weeks to make they can copy in minutes.
Probably those costs are OK with insurance claims but not for your customer around the corner. Yes Interesting Stuff !

SA

gene

I recently saw a video of a robot giving someone a tattoo.

The technology in making robots keeps getting better and better, and therefore cheaper and cheaper. I would think that someday Walmart will be selling disposable  robots that can make one-off somethings.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

brmax

baileyuph

Yes, your right about servo motors being a form of a robot. 

The world today is quite advanced on robot potentials and most our business are no exceptions.  The cost of implementing has come down, a lot of applications have matured.  For example when we reupholster a chair that millions have been built, doesn't it make good business sense when we do one to store the pattern and just automatically call it up and plot the pattern on a reliable X-Y moving system?  As far as that goes, just digitize the first one and call the pattern up the next time that type of work comes into shop.  Then, moving a step up the efficiency ladder, interface the coordinates with a coordinate driven sewing machine. 

This isn't dream world, the technology is here and the price has come down.  It is almost essential for more thinking in this direction for our future.  We have to move in this automated direction and the potential applications are endless - awnings, boat covers, auto seats, and last but not least furniture upholstery.  Just think if all we had to do to manufacturer a couch cushion is punch in the dimensions to output a zippered cushion ready to be installed.  Encouragement, it really is !!!!!!!

Doyle

MinUph

Doyle,
  Before any of this automated re upholstery is ever going to be feasible or even possible all the older furniture would have to be removed from the world and the new computer aided machine made furniture would have to become the norm. It has been my experience that no 2 chairs are the same no matter how much they look alike. Unless they are made from CAD/CAM. We might get this to work on a square outdoor cushion but all else would be to hard to standardize.
  I think we as upholsters have a long wait for this to become available to us. And I am glad of that. I would hate to see the onsies go away.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Technology has you covered Paul.  It already exist!  The furniture can be digitized to get coordinates, then the coordinates are transformed into a match model through regression data processing.  Then, that data set that was digitized and transformed into representative math equations becomes your pattern.  The theoretical capability takes care of lines (think of an outside back/arm/etc. that represent these furniture components as cutting patterns.  Any other components of the furniture too can be digitized and regression analysis performed to determine that component shape (inside or total arm, inside back, deck borders, plus whatever is needed a pattern of).  The regression method of transforming digitized parts into analog patterns is evaluated by statistical analysis which tells the user how good the patterns are being generated.

Now, the sweet part continues because the patterns digitized and created is made up of the coordinates used to cut the material being used (upholstery in most our case).  Yes, it is then ready for the sewing machine where further automation (robotics) can be applied.

This is relatively old school capability that has and continues to be implemented in smaller production environments at lower cost.  Believe it or not, the day is here where productions will and are implementing because it is cheaper than our age old techniques.

Worthy of understanding is statitical analysis is the quality control of the automated parts of the described above.

Times have already changed, capabilities (highly automated) are already understood and are becoming necessary for staying in business).

The price of this associated equipment (X-Y plotters/cutters/and automated sewing support) have come down.  Remember the first computer cost? well, that same cost today will buy much greater/better computer capability.

Doyle