Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 03:13:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tack Hammer

Started by ChandlerSM, June 19, 2016, 01:08:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChandlerSM

I'm gathering my upholstery tools together, so I'm wondering:  If I have an air stapler, do I need a tack hammer, too?
Thanks!
Patty

RiCat

June 19, 2016, 02:21:51 pm #1 Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:23:32 pm by RiCat
Yes. I have three. I find many uses for my tack hammers. If you get one with a magnetic end, I was told many years ago by my mentor in the trade, do not consistently use the magnetic end to hammer with. The magnetism will go away.

Regards
Rick  

baileyuph

What if the power or compressor is off?

It is a tool that is often used, equally important don't get a cheap one. 

Webbing which calls for large tacks (by some standards), it is a must. 

Lot's of use for me and the higher the quality the better.

Doyle

MinUph

A tack hammer is the number one basic tool of an Upholsterer. Even if you dont spit tacks it is still a requirement. Even if you never use it it is still a requirement LOL. Trust me it will be useful. Get a good one. It will be yours for ever. I have mine from 47 years now. I still have my Dads from god knows when:)
Please dont lessen the trade.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

June 19, 2016, 06:44:45 pm #4 Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:45:52 pm by gene
I've tried spitting tacks but I guess the magnetic end of my tack hammer isn't strong enough because the tacks hit it and bounce off.  :o

My tack hammer has a magnetic end that I use when I use tacks and a plastic covered other end that I use for decorative nails. I think even if you are not going to use tacks you may want the plastic covered end to hammer in decorative nails.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: ChandlerSM on June 19, 2016, 01:08:41 pmIf I have an air stapler, do I need a tack hammer, too?

That's like asking "If I have an electric fabric cutter, do I need scissors too?"
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I like  traditional basting with # 4 tacks.  It's easier knocking out tacks with the saw tooth tack puller then removing 45 staples with the wire cutter.
I use  1/4 in. staples for basting and sometimes too lazy to change from the 3/8 in the gun so I pick up the tack hammer
Also what about when going on site to do a job ?
SA

kodydog

June 20, 2016, 04:04:18 am #7 Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:06:12 am by kodydog
They are great for driving in those nasty little barbs leftover when puling staples. Also for getting into tight spots that your staple gun will not. My must have tools are all in my tool belt. this includes;

Shears
Staple puller
Regulator
Side Dikes
Staple gun

Other tools in my "grab it and go" tool box are;

16" needle
Webbing stretcher
2-curved needles, one large and one small
Razor knife and honing stone
Calculator
Touch up markers
Pair of old sheers for cutting Curve Ease.
Snips
Pencil and note pad.
Pliers, Screw driver, Philips head.
Wood glue and Tacky glue

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

Rarely a day goes by that I do not use my tack hammer, even if only to threaten the old man with (not serious about that folks).

I think you will be surprised by all the uses you will find for your tack hammer.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

brmax

With some new friends of experience my first allowed night off base in Germany I went to a small almost private Pub of this specific trade, On entering the place was just a few tables of say 6' diameter and seating of quality heavy duty coverings, a Bar of very old and tested with a generous welcome from the bartender. A quiet place for sure and with a follow-up look of the areas floor space the 3 tables and a special area of interest. So as we sat at an obvious always used table of these new friends, the ordering of beer got underway and starting the usual bull session. Enjoying some generous talk and general experiences transferring around the table with some more introducing of a few other bar patrons. The mention of the old very large stump as a table in the 4th area of the square room with a couple chairs assigned you could say. At this area was a quick and joyful test of some daily used skills many patrons here used, so i was encourage to take a seat over there and noticing with a closer look many a tacs embedded into the wood.
I was given a tac hammer and some tacs and nails to joyfully test my worth, Lucky no one new I had been a grunt for some Pro Upholsters and more importantly my luck of some "limited" knowledge! of the skill.
That's about as close as the pros I knew would let me be around ( a stick of wood and hammer) and very little time for this as, I had other task assigned to get done and no screwing off in them days.
I was able to hold my own well enough for several generous beers, though I suspect they still would have been poured for me. Its highly possible other characteristics were worth points also maybe new friends.
To sum this up a tool used in joyful test of or in a trade from very very old must be a 1st needed tool.

Have a good day
Floyd