Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 08:02:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

joining weblon

Started by islandsewing, May 01, 2016, 05:10:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

islandsewing

I haven't done a weblon regatta t-top yet, and might have two to do this month. I've seen lots of them before and both have either a heat seamed or glued seam. What do you guys/gals do when replacing one? Glue? Stitched? or can I heat seam it without a several thousand dollar machine?

Darren Henry

I haven't seen this weblon regatta up here yet but I read that it is a herculite product. I have had great success on the original "herculite" (it goes by 100 different names up here) using HH66 vinyl cement. I once made a 9000 lb lift bag for a commercial diver friend of mine. Picture an eleven foot sausage with a 60" circumference with some lift straps and a dump valve. I sealed the stitches where  the straps were sewn and glued the dump valve and seams with HH66. It was virtually air tight down to 90 feet the last time I spoke to him, don't know how deep he's taken it since.

I don't follow the manufacturer's instructions. I apply a coat to both surfaces and let dry 1 hour. apply second coat and again wait 1 hour. Reactivate with a heat gun and press the parts together. I like to use a wallpaper roller if possible.

June C used to get the little squeeze bottles that the hair dressers use for dye to apply it rather than a brush. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

islandsewing

Thought that HH66 might be the best bet. I'll give it a test this week to see how it goes. Thanks!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on May 01, 2016, 08:05:26 am
June C used to get the little squeeze bottles that the hair dressers use for dye to apply it rather than a brush
Interesting. So does she use them once and throw them away? I hate brushing that stuff.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

May 01, 2016, 03:04:24 pm #4 Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 03:05:35 pm by byhammerandhand
I have no familiarity with this product, but the "little squeeze bottles" that I use for glues come from GFS (Gordon Food Service) cleverly disguised as mayo/mustard/ketchup serving bottles.   About a buck apiece. Most places carry 8, 12, and 24 oz sizes.

Quote from: Darren Henry on May 01, 2016, 08:05:26 am

June C used to get the little squeeze bottles that the hair dressers use for dye to apply it rather than a brush.  

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike