Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 11:27:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Polyurethane for booth seating

Started by jameslee, February 22, 2016, 07:14:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jameslee

Hello everyone,

I posted here quite a while back and that was when my family was just starting our upholstery business. Thanks for the help you gave me back then. We are planning to move into our first retail location in a few months.

On occasion, we have been given the plans for new restaurant seating by a designer or contractor. In some designs the seating material sometimes turns out to be polyurethane as opposed to pvc.

By our experience, this is not a good application for polyurethane, since it doesn't hold up well to moisture, sun and high traffic. Is this the case for all polyurethanes, or are there some that handle high traffic commercial applications well?

We also noticed that, despite the high abrasion rating on some polyurethanes, they can pucker, no matter how taught they are upholstered.

Any tips on upholstering with polyurethane for commercial applications to avoid puckering and pooling?

James

brmax

Good to see ya James
Hey quick question is some of what your seeing, possibly with the chosen material "textures".
Not being real familiar, I was thinking more available leather like feel with the poly stuff, is this the correct or not a real issue. Reason to ask is I have been noticing in waiting rooms some super cool looking materials, but reluctant to do the dive under and check labels (but now "look out") it will probably get me through sooner or ousted, fingers galloping considering the move.
good day there
Floyd

jameslee

Hi Floyd,

The observation is just in general from seating that customers have brought in and puckering we've seen in restaurant seating. One of our fabric suppliers doesn't carry polyurethane as a policy, maybe because of the problems that I mentioned.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with just cheap polyurethane.

But some pu looks and feels amazing, that's for sure!

James

brmax

If you could recommend something also now or when you find a new product for this present job I'm all ears.
Always wanted an in stock item as I have heard a few keeping, ie red black.
I would be looking for it, as I do want to give an occasional option. I do see more and look at materials a bit different.
I wished but cannot see a vinyl material that might have say soft med/dental/and waiting room softness in combination with cat dozer or pizza booth vinyl for student and worker jeans.
I'm here to learn everyday
Floyd

jameslee

Coincidentally Floyd, we are looking at a new product (new to us), which may be somewhere between pvc and pu.

http://www.enviroleather.com/about/ourstory

We have yet to put it to use, but it is quite soft and it sounds great in theory. But it's pricey.

We have some binder inserts and will get a couple yards to test out.

Maybe you're looking for something like this?

scott_san_diego

It sounds like a product called Ultra leather.  It has a very soft feel to stand and has a lot of stretch to it in one direction.  I use it a lot on yacht interiors and in residential.  It will not hold up in a commercial application.  But if this is what the contractor and designer are specifying, then there is nothing you can do to change it.  On the bright side, when it needs to be redone they will call you.  When I do restaurant seating I try to use Naugahyde when possible. 

Rich

That's one problem with Ultra Leather, on a smooth expanse, it tends to stretch and pucker. Dental chair manufacturers have been selling this on their higher end chairs for maybe ten years or so and they mostly like to use it where the upholstery looks like a recliner, shirred seams etc, and that is the second problem I've seen-the seams on the tops of the cushions wear from patients constantly sliding in and out of the chair and eventually, the seam fails altogether. But, the dentists like the look and feel of the chair and they buy it. I personally would rather work with vinyl than this stuff for the sewing difficulties it presents, but as stated above, sometimes there's no choice but to use it. Of course, they pay more.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

brmax

I haven't use any Ultra leather,  though have seen some nice boats request it on rework, and it is some nice looking stuff for sure, seen 3 different jobs in whites. I haven't a clue on durability, I suspect where I seen it used, the seats wont get 1/4 the Dental or Dr. waiting room usage but might get suntan oils and uv rays.
Floyd