Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 12:51:32 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Polishing the Turd

Started by byhammerandhand, December 08, 2015, 10:31:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

No, I normally wear shoes with orthodicts.    When entering a home, I have a couple of rules when I take off my shoes:
- dirty or wet outside
- homeowner is not wearing shoes and/or pile of shoes by the door
- Asian owners (cultural thing of not wearing shoes inside)
- White carpet

I tried the booties once and had two problems:
- They don't really fit all sizes and I wear a 13D shoe
- I nearly sprained my ankle when I slipped on a step

Not sure why they won't do warranty work, been berry berry gud to me.  PM me their names

Quote from: gene on December 12, 2015, 08:03:01 am

Hey Keith, I talked to 2 guys this week who do furniture repair but will not do any manufacturers' warranty work. And I was wondering, did you take your shoes off to walk in the house, or did you put socks on to take the pictures? We're so close to KY it's difficult to tell sometimes. (For those not living on the southern border of Ohio, a standard joke is that the law says you have to remove your shoes and socks whilst crossing the Ohio river to enter Kentucky.)

gene
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: gene on December 12, 2015, 08:03:01 am

-------------------------------

Hey Keith, I talked to 2 guys this week who do furniture repair but will not do any manufacturers' warranty work. And I was wondering, did you take your shoes off to walk in the house, or did you put socks on to take the pictures? We're so close to KY it's difficult to tell sometimes. (For those not living on the southern border of Ohio, a standard joke is that the law says you have to remove your shoes and socks whilst crossing the Ohio river to enter Kentucky.)

-----------------------------

LOL Gene!

Many moons ago, I was married to someone who lived in Covington, KY (right across the Ohio river from Cincy) and I can tell you from personal experience, that is a correct assessment of Kentuckians.  I have stories that would either curl your hair or turn it white.

Virginia

sofadoc

I do a ton of warranty work. Been berry berry good to me too.

But I get hired and paid by the retail stores. Not by the manufacturer. And the stores handle all the pick-up and delivery. I do some service calls for my own customers, but not for stores.

I did recently agree to do a call for Furniture Medic (.com). I hear they make you jump through a lot of hoops in order to get paid. We'll see. If they don't pay up, I'll send them a nasty e-mail, and cross them off my list.

I always wear loose fitting tennis shoes that are easy to slip out of when entering a home. I have to remind my helper every time. He's so damn stupid, he'd plow right through a polished turd and walk right on to white carpet.   
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

All generalizations are false.

I had a friend who grew up in Louisville.  Her dad was a senior engineer at the GE appliance plant there.  She went to college in Florida and was met with a bunch of stares.  She said they wondered why she was wearing shoes.   She reminded them that Louisville was a metro area that was 5 times the population of that Florida town.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

QuoteDarren, you sound like an American. You're looking forward to soothing your anger by going to a gun show.

ROFL. I guess that did sound bad didn't it. I should have said the anger I felt earlier is being replaced by the anticipation of getting to see all those old classic and fancy "way out of my budget" pieces of equipment. For some guys that's a car show, others it's a ??? hall of fame tour. I almost bought a surplus CF sleeping bag system (best deal I have seen on one in years) and a bore sight tool. I managed to find a cleaning accessory I've been looking for for 3-4 years at half what I thought they would be worth and broke down and gave me one helluva Christmas present. I've always loved classic lever actions and wanted to have a Henry (go figure). I bought a golden boy in .17 HMR. I'm thinkin' there will be a lot fewer gophers at work next summer. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

I resist talking my shoes off.  I ask them to cover the floor.  I've got to carry tools and furniture -  end of story.  I have walked away from jobs over this issue.   I'd like to see the day when a pipe breaks and they won't let the plumber in unless he talks off his shoes.  The public has strange ways. 
Some have pets that never get cleaned after coming in from a walk but I have to take off clean shoes -  not happening.

SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

We had our furnace replaced Friday.  The guys started putting their booties on because of the carpet in Sew & Sew.  It's commercial quality.  They were going in and out and had already put tarps down over the steps and vinyl in the laundry room.  I told them nicely that I saw no reason to wear booties, that they could not do worse to my carpet than Joe had done when he was being house broken.  They chuckled and put away their booties.

Virginia

Mojo

There are alot of service centers that wont work on the big mega dollar busses. They are too afraid of claims for high end leathers, tiles, marble, etc.

They just send them down the road to someone else who will work on them. The problem with these diesel buses is the access is from the rear or in the case of my coach through the bedroom floor. So a mechanic will have to walk through the entire coach to get to the back.

There are some dealers who wont allow prospective buyers inside a bus to look at it without removing your shoes first. I can understand. At $ 2 million or more for some of them the last thing you want is some expensive, exotic leather or tile screwed up. At the RV shows they only allow 2 couples inside at a time and they are not allowed to open cupboards or doors. They have a sales assistant inside that opens all the cabinets for you. Some of these buses have very high dollar and exotic woods and alot of the cabinetry is curved and out of this world fancy. So are the door handles and hardware.

Chris