Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 10:16:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Total Newbie

Started by CW, April 16, 2015, 08:46:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CW

April 16, 2015, 08:46:37 am Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:32:39 pm by CW
I have been sewing since the 2nd grade and have always enjoyed every aspect of designing, making or covering something. A few years ago, I refurbished an old porch swing to include making new cushions. The box cushion was my very first and was a replacement of the standard cheap lawn cushion. I later replaced the old foam as it did not fill the box cushion adequately. Over all, it was easy, and I enjoyed doing it. It was this project that gave me the idea to actually consider recovering and reupholstering furniture.

http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/jajjaaj/media/IMG00363-20110805-1938.jpg.html

I spoke with several close friends and family members who encouraged me to take the plunge, and this website has offered an abundance of information that has motivated me to move forward. I have been in learning mode for over 2 months and now it's time to put my learning and experience into practice.

I have a small shop, 14' x 24', to get started. Definitely will require some ingenuity to work in such a small space.  I currently own 2 old White machines that are workhorses. I really want an industrial walking foot, but that is a purchase that will have to wait. I have quite a few wood working and standard tools as well as an air compressor. For upholstery specific, I have purchased the must haves. I just finished building my cutting table that is 51" x 99". Not very big, but the lower shelf will be used for storage, and I added locking wheels so that I can easily move it around as needed. I can also use the shelves that are installed all along one wall of the shop.

First project will be 2 matching antique chairs. The project will also include refinishing the legs and wood trim.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h403/jajjaaj/Antique%20chair.jpg

"Yard by yard, life is hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch." ~Unknown

brmax

CW  Welcome to the site
  It looks as though the interest has been with you quite a while.
Thanks for posting the pics, The chairs project sounds great and be sure to post up some pictures of the build in the green room, or any area works though.
Good day there

CW

Thank you. Yes, it has been a long time consideration. I have a tendency to over think every detail. Feeling quite confident that I can do this. Actually, I'm pretty excited.

Darren Henry

Welcome to the board. You're gonna have questions---you're gonna get in a pickle now and then; feel free to ask and we will help.

QuoteI have a small shop, 14' x 24', to get started. Definitely will require some ingenuity to work in such a small space.

Must be nice. My first upholstery shop was the choir loft of a hundred and eight year old former church---256 sq.ft. with a 10" step down the length of it. I did shoe repair/orthopaedic correction in the corner of my 7 1/2X12 uninsulated workshop at home at night. Did I mention that was in N.W Ontario???  That was a bit of a challenge. The shop I run now was about the size of yours until we built on a couple of years ago. The addition (10 ft. or so width) was nice until the boss went on a "clearance buying bender". Now it's mostly storage for fabric/vinyl/etc...I find the secret is to get stuff done and gone ASAP. Storing the foam will be your biggest challenge. Mine gets stored in an outbuilding on site.

From personal experience; I think you will be unhappy with a cutting table that narrow. Fabric is either 54 or 60 inches wide and trying to measure and cut while some of it is hanging over the edge will drive you nuts. I'd suggest a 12" or better drop leaf on your table. I like my tables the height of my sewing machine (when you get one) so they can do triple duty---cutting sewing and work table, but I'm only 5'6" so ???

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

CW

Darren, in comparison to your old shop, I have a great work space. Though, I do not have heat or AC. There will be a few bad days during the summer, but I will have to figure out a heat source for the winter.

When I was drawing up the plans for my table, I knew that anything 54" or more would be ideal, but I took into consideration my equipment, and my work and storage space. I settled on the smaller table, but like you said, I wouldn't be happy and I knew it. Your idea of adding a drop leaf is genius; what an easy fix. I'll have my space and an adequate table.

Mike

the AC in my new shop is great my ups driver loves it when he gets the chance to come inside.

CW

If it gets too hot in my shop, I'll want to come inside your shop too!  ;D

Mojo

Congrats on your new venture. It is always slow in the beginning so just hang in there and keep plugging along and moving forward. We have some amazing stitcher's on this forum who can help you along the way.

Nice looking German Shepherd BTW. I have two of those knuckleheads myself. Always have been a GSD guy since childhood. :)

Best of luck to you.

Chris

CW

Quote from: Mojo on April 17, 2015, 03:49:24 am
Nice looking German Shepherd BTW. I have two of those knuckleheads myself. Always have been a GSD guy since childhood. :)

Thanks Mojo, he's quite the character.  I've had GSDs my entire life and now foster them. They are an amazing breed.

Darren Henry

Quotebut I will have to figure out a heat source for the winter.

How much hydro do you have available? The shop I'm  in is 25X24 with a 10 foot addition down the long side that is open for the middle 12 feet. think "archway" We heat it with a construction heater suspended from the ceiling. there is a second one but I only have to turn it on if it's bitter cold and or very windy.

I didn't have enough power in my little shoe repair shack for heat so I heated it with a kerosene heater and put a heat lamp in the light socket over the finisher where I stood most. It worked---
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Welcome CW,
  It's always nice to hear of a new comer to the business. Enjoy doing the chairs. They look like they could use it :). If you run into questions just ask.
  Do you know how to handle the wood work?
  Good luck.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

CW

Quote from: Darren Henry on April 18, 2015, 06:11:11 amHow much hydro do you have available?
I didn't have enough power in my little shoe repair shack for heat so I heated it with a kerosene heater and put a heat lamp in the light socket over the finisher where I stood most. It worked---

No Hydro. A storm has been blowing through and leaving snow. Yesterday was especially cold and I plugged in a couple space heaters to help.

Quote from: MinUph on April 18, 2015, 03:28:02 pmDo you know how to handle the wood work?

They definitely need more than a touch up. I was considering refinishing to original, but many of the decorative tacks were placed right on top of the wood trim causing damage. Considering all options.

MinUph

Quote from: MinUph on April 18, 2015, 03:28:02 pmDo you know how to handle the wood work?

They definitely need more than a touch up. I was considering refinishing to original, but many of the decorative tacks were placed right on top of the wood trim causing damage. Considering all options.
[/quote]
I see they do need refinishing. Strip it all off and start fresh. As for the nail marks. Once you get the wood work refinished youll be able to tell better. Or just do as they did last time.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

CW

Quote from: MinUph on April 19, 2015, 08:34:58 amOr just do as they did last time.

The tacks are not original to the chair and looked terrible. I'll start a new thread under The Green Room with additional pictures. Even with the wood finish and eternal issues, this will be a great learning project. Pretty excited about it.