Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 09:28:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Swayback in Machine Table

Started by brmax, April 09, 2015, 10:37:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

April 09, 2015, 10:37:53 pm Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:45:57 pm by brmax
Just a mention Thanks, as I recall some of you all braced up some machine table tops before.
So remembering some of the different post conversations, I got around to pick up 10 feet of
2"x 1/8th angle and used almost 9 feet, along with 4 feet of 2"x 3/16 flat to go between oil tray and motor and some short cross brace boxing around the v-belt slot.
As mentioned I also removed the top and motor then flipped the top over and reset the motor in place to get some sharpie marks all over, It looked like a map I used once. ( where farmers till and plant over the old township roads )
I did keep the small drawer but eliminating it would have been easier, Though wished I had a double stack drawer.  Anyway I took a good look at the 2 other machines and no way could either be the same not that they need it yet but that 1508 sat in govt. warehouse at least 5 years I bet, and will need it some time soon.
With the 14 lag bolts of 5/16x1-1/4 and steel all parts were 21.00 All the steel was tacked then slowly welded solid.
I basically sat the angle on the gray k stand and made use of existing mount holes and drilled 4 each of them on the ends and some through the other pieces of angle and followed with marking and pilot drilling the bottom wood side. The 3/16 bit seemed to work good in this plywood providing some squeeze I guess you could say and used the tape on the bit for a depth stop marker.
For the finale - cutting a hole for the knee lift shaft and welding a ring of 3/8 rod around to give it back the support.
All in all 1 hour removal, 1 hr design tac n weld, 1hr drill holes cut n weld ring and paint, 1hr mount and get some shims for raising back and front corners of machine a bit better.

Its all getting back where it can do some good work, thanks for your help here.

Have a Good Friday! everybody

Mike

I had  extra table with some sway stupid me I sat it out for free now I have a spae head and could use it now as a extra at home machine.

brmax

April 10, 2015, 07:25:48 pm #2 Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:31:38 pm by brmax
That sounds like my luck also, Your option on a new style table w/stand might be an idea for ya. Shipping is crazy, after my table workup I thought maybe the fabric or hobby store has an option without much shipping charge "ya right", It was a good thought though considering my time involved.
Now Mike come on a machine at the house after seeing the shop pics, If I worked there for ya I would require a skate board,  teasin there just a bit.
Anyway speaking of your shop I remember the sew table lights they looked perfect, they looked longer than the 21" I been seeing lately.
ps My first sew machine I bought a new top, and they say your first choice is usually the smartest?
   whahappen