Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 09:30:26 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Where can I buy a round pillow form?

Started by baileyuph, March 26, 2015, 05:23:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

March 26, 2015, 05:23:52 pm Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:36:02 pm by DB
Only need one for a neck roll pillow tube shape.  I guess around 14 or so inches long and perhaps 6 inches in diameter.

Need this for the last decorator pillow (I believe for bedroom) of a big batch of pillows I am finishing.

Tomorrow I will try a couple places, hope they have one in medium soft.

One can be made in the shop but I don't think spending the time to make the jig to cut them is worth my time.

Hancock's and Jo Ann's came to mind.

Anone bought one recently?

Doyle

MinUph

My supplier next door stocks them. 4-6-8-10" x 48" The foam is generally poor quality but for what they are their fine.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

March 26, 2015, 07:09:47 pm #2 Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:15:29 am by kodydog
Here is how I make mine Doyle.

Starting off with a square block of foam. Very carefully cut the corners off to make a octogon. Each leg is made equal length.

It'll take some figuring to get the size you want.

Then either double or triple wrap with Dacron. You can cover with muslin if you want but I just stuffed it into the casing and hand sewed it closed. I like to add a button to each end but that's up to the customer.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

Sounds like what you want is a "cylinder?"

You can get a quote here for some reference points. http://www.sunshinefoam.com/foamorder1.php
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

March 28, 2015, 02:41:33 pm #4 Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:42:34 pm by gene
Howdy,

Joanns does have poly batting inserts. I don't think they have foam inserts.

Are you looking for a foam insert or a poly batting insert?

If a poly batting insert:

Cut a piece of muslin Length + 1" x width + 1". (Length and width of the finished neck roll. I also call these bolster pillows.)

Take the width + 1" number and divide by 3.1415. This is the diameter of the circle. Then divide the diameter by 2. This is the radius to set your compass at.

Trace two circles out on the muslin. Cut the circles. Sew the body together only at both ends using a 1/2" seam allowance. This leaves an opening to stuff the batting into. Sew the circles onto both ends. Turn inside out. Stuff with batting. Sew the opening closed. Viola!

I use foam if the pillow is going to be used, and I use batting if it is a decorative pillow.

Hope this helps.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Some excellent ideas, I went to Jo Ann's and picked up a poly batting.  Included a zipper and that can be tight quarters sewing.

I decided there was no way I could make a form for about $7, got it done and now am working on the love seat that will be in the same room.  In all I make 5 decorator pillows, been busy.

I did the calculations like Gene, using the constant 3.1415 in the calculations.

It fit!

Doyle

MinUph

A little off topic but hey.
  I made a big one about a year ago. It must have been like 48" long 8" in diameter. And the customer wanted it buttoned at both ends. No zipper. NO PROBLEM.
  I made the endcaps gathered just a straight piece. I'm sure some of you have done this. But the problem was how was I going to fill this sucker. Foam wrapped in dacon. Well the ol vacuum came out. I sucked it down and it slid in like I can't say. Anyway it was a perfect fit. Tied the ends off and buttoned through the 4' with a special needle I made. I have them 3' 4' and can really be any length needed.
  Just a heads up for the inexperienced.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website