Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 11:26:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Rubber Webbing

Started by tipigirl77, March 19, 2015, 12:13:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tipigirl77

What is the best tool to install rubber webbing when it doesn't use the clips?
Does anyone know how much shorter to cut webbing when using clips, I had to shorten new ones I made for couch going side to side, ebut the ones going front to back I guessed right on that length.

SteveA

Could you fold over the end to make a strong tab and staple it down ?
SA

Joys Shop

March 19, 2015, 03:52:13 pm #2 Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:52:40 pm by Joys Shop
you don't need to fold over the end.   Just staple it down
Like jute webbing  (except not folded over)

MinUph

I've always found the length to be kind of trial and error. Especially when using the clips. White rubber webbing doesnt stretch that much so it is hard to do by hand. I have a pair of benders they are like vice grips but have a wide jaw. Used to bend sheet metal. They work well for webbing. If you are using the woven type you can use a regular webbing stretcher with the points.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

tipigirl77

Thanks MinUph. I think I know the bender tool. I didn't think the webbing stretcher with points
would be good it would put holes in the rubber and there would be to much waste. There is a rubber webbing stretcher by Osborne but it is $40.00. Maybe it would be worth it to buy. I only have two chairs right now too do.

Darren Henry

If you are talking about the plier type with the wide bill and the square block on the bottom to use as a fulcrum ---they're well worth the $40. You'll find a lot more uses for them than just webbing, and you will have them for life.

I'd use mine a lot more if I hadn't been a shoe maker. Our lasting pliers look more like channel lock pliers with the jaws 90* down to the handle so these feel weird to me so unless I need the wide jaws I just grab a pair of my lasting pliers. They're a handy piece of kit regardless.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

March 20, 2015, 07:16:37 pm #6 Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:18:33 pm by kodydog
I found a pair of the wide mouth webbing pliers at a yard sale. They sold them to me for $1 then asked what they were.

I found a roll of curve ease at the Boys Ranch Thrift Store. They had it marked $5. I told the manager I can buy it wholesale for that price. I told him, only an upholsterer would have use for it and the chances of another upholsterer coming into the store was slim to nill. He sold it to me for $1. I'm such a cheap a$$.

As far as stretching rubber webbing, I just pull it as tight as I can by hand. That gets it just about right.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html