Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 06:19:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

upholstery questions

Started by gene, February 23, 2015, 05:33:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

February 23, 2015, 05:33:01 pm Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:34:11 pm by gene
Howdy,

I have a brand new chair like this one: http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/furniture/rugs-usa-weathered-french-straight-back-linen-dining-chair-set-of-2/light-burnt-oak/200NIRES11A-P.html

The customer wants me to add 2" of foam to the seat, and reupholster the chair in a different fabric.

Can I glue 2" of foam on top of the existing seat, wrap in batting, and reupholster the seat?

Would it be better to cover with muslin after I add the poly batting, if I do it this way?

Thank you,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

It looks like there is a minimal amount of foam on the existing seat now. I'd take whatever is on there now off and add 3" of new foam. Cut the foam 1" larger in the front and sides and glue a piece of thin fabric about 6-7" on these sides and front about 2" from the edge leaving the rest flapping. Then staple this to the frame tops Then add your batting. You also might want to add a front band as that area will look too big with all the filling.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Thanks Paul for the reply.

I learned the technique you described from Merv Knutson's Upholstery videos many moons ago when I was a lowly upholstery neophyte.

My thought and question were more to the idea of saving time and labor by simply putting foam on top of what is all ready there. The chairs are brand new so I would not be covering up used fabric, which is not something I do.

I was wondering if anyone had just added new foam to the top of existing decks like this one and how did that work out.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Yes, you can add 2" of foam to the top of the existing foam and wrap with dacron. Muslin would be a personal choice but I wouldn't bother.

Two things to think about. Will adding more foam make the chair look proportionately odd? And how will the chair sit after adding the foam. The chair looks like it sits high already. Why does the customer want extra foam added? If its a comfort thing maybe adding a firmer foam of the same thickness would work.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

You could also add a semi-attached 2" cushion to the top. But the extra labor may throw the job out of budget.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Two engineering issues at stake:

1. Chair bottom cushion height must be kept proportional, just adding 2 inches wrinkles my thinking.  To keep the job economical just add at most 1" but under the existing foam, then cover with muslin to maintain even shape before installing final coveing.
Kody and I are, in general think the same.
Obviously the reason for adding foam is the bottom is too soft?

2. Second point and equally important, must keep chair cushion height within proper height to table clearance/height.  Going two inches might jam sitter to high under the table.  Keep this parameter within good limits of the geometery between the table to chair clearance. 

I know Gene's concern of meeting objectives within limits of the job.  We have to be efficient and yet keep the customer in order to insure the customer is happy and we can pay the bills at the end of the day.

I would probably lift existing foam and add a piece of firmer foam under existing foam with the additional foam being 1 inch or less in thickness.  BTW, I have done this but the added layer can be a dense pad, it doesn't have to be foam.

Doyle