Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 05:14:26 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question for our Florida folks

Started by Darren Henry, February 06, 2015, 03:52:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

I was skimming the weather network this AM and saw a report out of Florida that a hot springs game refuge (wild life sanctuary ? I forget the proper title and it has since been removed) in Spring Hill?/Valley? ( I was on my first cup of coffee) had to close because there were 300 manatee there instead of the usual 65-85.

My question is why? I've always thought that sea cows were placid and easy going. I've wanted to dive with them---I can't keep up to a dolphin. And I'm thinking from seeing the video that this is one of those "Walk down the boardwalk, read the plaques, take your picture and go home" kind of parks. Who are they protecting,and why?

BTW; isn't that near Kody and Paul?

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

They are protecting the Manatees. It is illegal here to touch them. Spring Hill?/Valley is south of us. Kody, Chris and I live in Spring Hill. It's a few hours north. The Manatees congregate like that cause it is warm there. For some reason they must have decided it was the place to party that day.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

Quotethey must have decided it was the place to party that day.   

Too funny----the headline read "party of 300 manatee closes hot spring resort"

Are humans allowed to swim in the hot springs there? or is a "stay on the boardwalk and take pictures" venue?

Thanks Paul.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

funny I awnsered this post   manatee Darren are attracted t warm water in the winter like evyon they can be found about power plant discharge drains, and they come into the shallows like my canal

kodydog

February 07, 2015, 07:26:47 pm #4 Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:34:36 pm by kodydog
This may be the article you refer to,

http://www.onearth.org/earthwire/aint-no-party-manatee-party

Crystale River is the hot spot this time of year for the Manatee. I have snorkeled near but never with the Manatee in this same river. Because of the springs the water stay a balmy 72* year round. 72-degree springwaters are a literal hot spot for sea cows seeking a winter warm-up. 300 sea cows seems like a lot of animals in one location. Problem is they are very docile and very slow moving which makes them an unintended target for motorboats.

Simply put they are an endangered species. And therefore are protected from human contact. The springs belong to the Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge, which was created specifically for the endangered Florida manatee.

Funny thing about the history of the manatee. Allegedly "in 1493, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus, sailing near the Dominican Republic, sees three "mermaids"--in reality manatees--and describes them as "not half as beautiful as they are painted." Six months at sea can be very excruciating.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/columbus-mistakes-manatees-for-mermaids

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

I have been on the springs before in a pontoon. The rule is if Manatees come near your boat you must shut the engine down. They are very slow, tame and fun to watch.

At Homasassa Springs, they will congregate there in warm pools of water. They have services that will take you out to them on big pontoons and you can get in the water with them but you cannot touch them. They swim around you, bump into you, etc. It is pretty cool. The State or wildlife sanctuary normally have observers around keeping track of people when the Manatees come in to keep people from causing them harm.

On our trip back out of the springs we seen a bald eagle and then once in the bay got chased by a dolphin. It was an awesome trip and alot of fun.

Kody lives about 100-125 miles from us North and near the center of the State. Paul, Catalina Ric and myself all live within 10 miles of each other.

Chris

Darren Henry

Thanks everybody. Most informative.

Kody that wasn't the same news item I saw but some of the footage was the same.The BBC version had much more information than the one I saw.