Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 03:23:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Singer Model 72w19 Hemstitch

Started by tudorford, January 03, 2015, 06:25:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tudorford

A friend of mine bought this machine being told it was a leather sewing machine.  He asked me to show him how to use it and after looking at it I think it is some sort of garment makers machine.  It has two of everything in it.  two bobins, two needles ect...  the only discription I could find said it was for making hems on clothing.  Obviously this is not a leather or an upholstery machine and not what he was looking for.  He would like to sell it.

Question is does anyone know anything about this thing, Is there a market for it and what is it worth?
Always remember:  Where ever you go,  there you are.

sofadoc

Yeah, it appears to be a really old garment hemming machine.  Definitely no use for leather sewing.

I hate it when E-Bay and Craigslist sellers dupe unwitting buyers. If you believe what they tell you........ALL sewing machines will "even sew leather!!!"

Most of the time, the seller really has no knowledge of the machine's capabilities.
But they'll say anything to make a sale.

I hope your buddy wasn't out too much $$.

I think I would list it as a "vintage" machine geared at targeting the collector. I see a couple of them on E-bay asking over $1200.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

tudorford

Yea the only one I saw on ebay the guy was asking $1495 for just the machine head and it didn't look like it was in as good of shape as this one. I also noticed that it had been there a while and is not sold.  It is in really good shape and I think it probably works but I have no use for it and nether does he so it will probably go back to ebay.  It is in the original cabinet I think that has been converted to a clutch motor operated by the old tredal pedal.  It also has a lot of attachments that I have no idea what they are for and it has the original owners manual. 

I was more just curious if anyone here had ever run across a machine like this.  If I had some time I would love to play with it and see how it works but it is a long way from where I live and it was buried in a corner of his taxadermy shop when I looked at it. 
Always remember:  Where ever you go,  there you are.