Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 24, 2024, 05:49:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

furniture skirts

Started by gene, December 11, 2014, 05:54:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Does anyone do skirts like this? This is the first time I've seen this method. Are there specific applications where you would want to do this or is it a method that can be used anytime?

Once you get the dimensions figured out, it seams like it is a rather quick method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USXndVmv9kI&list=UUylLqUsM1-jjmHuMctQmjYw

Inquiring minds want to know,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I've seen some factory jobs with the 2 diagonal folds in the corners before. Never tried it myself.
It looks like it would be hard to get the finished dimensions right, especially if there is pattern matching involved.

Also, how many of you sew with the welt on the bottom when you make a cushion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjgc8DeelCk

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I over lock the skirts pcs. first and then I press the folds in place.  I stitch the mitred corners and then I tuck the lining under the folds (I do this because I like the extra fabric weight to go to the folds).  I then either topstitch the folded sides in place, or use my blindstitch machine to secure them invisibly.  lastly, I run the assembled skirt pcs. through the overlock to clean finish the top edge. 

I don't put the welting on the bottom, but I'm going to give it a try just for kicks. 

Joys Shop

I've been mitering skirt corners for years
I made up a chart to make it easily repeatable
but
I do sew the corner miters

the chart and directions were in the Feb/March 2006 newsletter in Carr's Corner forum

mike802

I sew my skirts differently, I like to line them and fold the ends in when installing on the piece, it helps when lining up a pattern.

I sew the welt both ways, blind, or with welt up, I prefer to have the welt up so I can see that my stitches are in the right place.  I base my decision on the fabric I am using at the time.  Personally, I feel the folded butt joint when joining the welt cord in the back is kind of cheesy, I like to miter the joint, it spreads the fabric out and shows less of a bump and hides the joint better.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

bobbin

Like Mike802, I use a mitre to finish the welting and I generally cut and stitch the mitre.

Darren Henry

QuoteI don't put the welting on the bottom, but I'm going to give it a try just for kicks.

I always sew with the welt on top. Not only do I like to see the stitches in the welt I can get it a little closer to the left side of the foot without the fabric in there as well. That said; I can see the physics behind doing the other way. If your fabric has a tendency to "shrink" as you sew it , the welt will already be pre-shrunk and help stabilize your panel as you sew. Mocha coloured sunbrella would be the acid test, if anybody has some remnants to play with. It shrinks horrendously if you sew up the roll. I wish I had some here, I'd test that theory.

QuoteDoes anyone do skirts like this?

Bit of a twist on his technique: I was taught to cut the face fabric and lining the same height (no wrap around at the bottom). The length was a simple formula----add 1" for seams, add 6" to face fabric and subtract 6" from lining. Match your pattern of course [ blue stripe is 8" from left fold--- add 3 1/2" --- so cut 11 1/2 left of blue strip and and rest right]. Sew the ends first then average your wrap arounds until the blue stripe is 8" from the left and sew 'er shut. Budda boom,budda bink. Flip it right side out and run a hot rock over it , or an iron if your shop is that well equipped (cheezy)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!