Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 11:22:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Darren, Ready for Channel Back Shortcuts

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, September 23, 2014, 01:31:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

I'm having a chatty day I think.  Have gotten work done, just not as productive as the last three days have been.  Since the bug and I are at odds, I've been playing with the channel backs.  I'm not using foam as I had already purchased replacement material, pretty much identical to what we took out.  Saved the horse hair and will put it back in at the appropriate time.

I started sewing once before but, despite my labeling everything, I was doing things half *** backward so had to tear out my stitching.  Fortunately, I also took pictures every step of the way so I put my laptop next to the chair and got out the original pieces to make sure that I had my head screwed on correctly as to how the pieces were originally pieced.  Since I did that, things have gone more smoothly.  Piecing the channels is going well as once I understood the process, it is very similar to paper piecing while quilting (no paper involved here but a similar process in my mind).  Tomorrow I'll sew the bottom seam shut and figure out how to stuff them to achieve the result I want.  If that goes well, I'm ready to start putting the chair back together.  Still have the loveseat setting out commiserating with the bug but I figure to be tearing that sucker out sometime next week.  I had a lot of trepidation about this project when I first started researching, but I find myself really enjoying this process.  Nice that I'm working on this at the same time as the bug so at least I'm feeling positive about something : (

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteTomorrow I'll sew the bottom seam shut and figure out how to stuff them to achieve the result I want[/quote

]

I do it the other way round. After I have all the panels (fronts and backs) sewn together I cut the backs in half top to bottom [remember I cut them the same size as the fronts] and add my fill. I then draw the backs in to where I want them and staple or hand stitch the two halves together.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!