Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 02:32:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

my worst job ever

Started by Mike, October 26, 2014, 05:33:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

October 26, 2014, 05:33:34 pm Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:36:33 pm by Mike
so a neighbor refers his friend to have me do some upholstey for him on his new old first boat he ever owned. so he called me to see his boat at a boat yrd this spring. I get there theres a zillion gy all over the boat redoing the teal and painting the hull ect. and the salon seating he had me come see he didn't have the cushions in the boat but there were some bridge cushions.   so I left he is never there with his work that's why he had all these guys doing to yard work. so a few day later he said he found the cushions they were in a storage locker. so he brings me the salon cushions but he was missing 2 even when he did  find then he didn't know what went where? so he want to replace the foam and recover with uptra leather. till he found out the cost so he choose to go to a leather look vinyl rather then the ultra leather so dump the old cloth new foam and rwecover the 4 bridge cushions.   and left a deposite. so after he got bac in the country and got saw the seats in his friend my neighbors garage he said said the foam wasn't firm enough. so I agreed to replace the foam with extra firm . my cost ( it was a neighbors friend) so  the friend returned the cushion and before I ordered mew foam the guy called to say am I sure the cushion will fit the l loung bow with the new woodwork the carpenter did ?  how should I know im just redoing what   he had?  so now he wasn't happy with the bridge cushions either as he said I made a snap flap backward even though I know that I had made it just as it was. anyway he decided the salon cushion should be cloth and he didn't want me to replace the foam. I think the carpenter built something in the corner that would prevent the original seats fitting   he just want a full refund. so I bit my tongue only because this was from a neighbor and I did give him  his money good riddance that was a month ago now.

he should have had me come in the boat after everybody was done and out of the way . and the cost would have been a lot more the it was let me do it right trouble was he was on limited time at the yard and had to leave to Miami

MinUph

We all get these Mike. BEst thing to refund and boot them out of your life. When it gets that bad there is no pleasing them.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

so rite paul  ive moved on last week I did a bridge enclosure your a yacht club captian aho printed copies of my card and handed them out at a club blessing of the fleet last weekend

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Arrrgghhhhhh. I am going to bet no one will ever please him with this interior.

Every now and then a customer comes along and just has to make your life miserable. Like Paul
said, move on.

Chris

baileyuph

Your right Mike, going forward just do a job the way you know is the right way..........

People want price, they want expediency, they seem to not have a clue about what it takes to get quality.  Worse, when things go bad, they don't take any of the responsibility and admit their lack of what it takes to get the best quality and it cost!!!

You are better off to get this one off your mind.

Mike

I had a nice old itiain fellow who stopped into my shop asking if i could reupholster is 2 fron lounges on his pontoon had one guy say he could then never showed up. So could i have it done before the 28th. I had. 3 weeks. Sure i could.   So i start it last week and ended up sewi g 1/2 a day saturday. A d installed them monday morning.  When i went in to be paid his wife handed me a $100 tip after i had been paid. :). :)  my best tip ever

MinUph

Thats nice Mike,
  Makes ya feel good when people are really happy with the work. Koodoos
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

It is great to hear that good work is still appreciated, good work Mike!

Older customer you say, the younger often, not always, are prone to be focused more on price.  Much has been written and a theme that comes out is many consumers do not understand quality like they do price.

Rewarding experience for you coming at a timely moment.

Doyle

Virgs Sew n Sew

Glad you got such a nice tip after the lousy experience with the other customer.

Everyone wants a bargain today.  Want quality but don't want to pay quality pricing.

Like others have said, there is just no pleasing some folks.  Hopefully you will be able sell some of that stuff somewhere down the road and recoup some of your loss.

Virginia

gene

I'm working on a big project now that I would rather not be. I do not trust the customer nor do I trust anything that they say.

My solution is to get paid 1/2 with the order and paid in full BEFORE it leaves my studio.

I also "document, document, document, document"! Anything that is said gets written down with a date.

QuoteEveryone wants a bargain today.  Want quality but don't want to pay quality pricing.
And if you know my prices are set and I do not negotiate, why do you keep trying to beat my prices down. I welcome your business, but I have no problem if you take your business somewhere else.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!