Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 22, 2024, 07:11:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

First Bernina Class Yesterday

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, October 26, 2014, 07:20:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Was scheduled for an embroidery class yesterday from 1-5.  Talked to the instructor on Friday and we agreed that I could come in an hour prior to have some questions on sewing machine answered prior as well as a primer on the embroidery portion.  I didn't even pick up my embroidery attachment until class time as I didn't want to make any trips this week that I didn't have to.  Running errands chews up time faster than anything I know.

So, instructor answered a few sewing related questions and I now feel confident enough on the Bernina to go into production with it.  I am going to take my Janome embroidery machine out of the cabinet it is in and put my Singer there so if I get in a pinch, I'll be able to use it.  Also thinking about maybe hiring a HS girl to come in on Sat mornings and help with alterations -- we'll see.  That could be more hassle than help.

Anyway, the embroidery function of the Bernina is absolutely fabulous.  We made a little zipper bag, perfect for cosmetics or to carry change, credit cards and so forth in.  It used a technique called "in the hoop".  I've heard the terminology before but never really understood it.  Really fabulous.  Just had stabilizer hooped then sewed the zipper, zipper flap, attached front and then did a bunch of embroidery (basket and sewing machine --- really cute) and then attached the back of the back.  Unhoop, tear off unnecessary stabilizer, trim seams to 1/2", turn back right side out and presto, an adorable little bag.  Took a little over an hour.  I took mine to the nursing home last night and gave it to MIL who absolutely loved it.  I told her roomie that I would make one for her as I could tell she also really liked the bag.  Enid is a doll and it's nice to know that MIL and roomie like each other so I don't mind making another for her at all.

She's looking at a class the weekend before Thanksgiving and I think we'll do sweatshirt embroidery.  I'm guessing with a turkey day motif.  Anyway, the machine is incredible.  I had a couple of thread breakage issues and once you've rethreaded, you go to a certain screen function and dial back to a couple of stitches prior to the breakage (LCD shows you right where it occurred).  Also hit a spot on the fabric, where the needle spazzed out (instructor doesn't know why) but she had me remove the hoop, cut the threads, rehoop and continue stitching and it never missed a beat.  So cool not to have to start over when you have an issue.  Same thing if you run out of bobbin as there is an extra thread holder so you can wind without removing your project, swap out the bobbins and carry on without missing a stitch. 

There is a quilting class on the 7th.  Cannot wait to see what this machine can do with the quilting attachments in place.

Virginia

Darren Henry

Right on---Glad your new toy (ughmm I mean investment) is all you hoped for. Sounds like it could be like Barby though with all those attachments and add ons. That's where the real expense comes in.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on October 26, 2014, 08:31:36 am
Right on---Glad your new toy (ughmm I mean investment) is all you hoped for. Sounds like it could be like Barby though with all those attachments and add ons. That's where the real expense comes in.

Yup, quilting attachment was part of the machine package.  I opted to buy the embroidery attachment and the jumbo hoop.  It comes with three hoops the the embroidery foot.  But I've already bought 4 extra feet as well as the Bernina thumb drive.  Bought the Bernina as other thumb drives don't work correctly often.  It was a pricey new toy.  I've already got it in the number one slot and will hem a pair of dress slacks for a customer in just a bit.  Thought I would start with a few easy projects and work my way up to the bridesmaid dress that I'm going to use the overcast foot I bought yesterday.

Nice thing about taking classes there.  All the embroidery classes are free and you can get 15% off all purchases on class day.  So it makes it a little easier to buy the pricey feet, thumb drives and recommended threads.

Virginia