Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 28, 2024, 05:33:06 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

For Virginia

Started by kodydog, September 29, 2014, 06:31:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

So sorry to hear about your little Carly. I feel i've gotten to know her over the last month and a tear came to my eye when I read your words.

My wife and i have always been a 3 dog family. That is till last year and now we're just down to little Rambo. A Chihuahua-Dachshund mix.

Until last week. We were going to Publix and noticed an adoption fair at Pet Smart. We walked over "just to look." Will this little girl caught Rose's eye and now she's part of our family. At 9 months shes full of vim and vinegar. You just never know.

Sunny
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

Sunny is an absolute doll!

We are starting to puppy proof and we'll go from there.  I suspect that we'll get a new puppy sooner rather than later; as much for Jimmy as for us.  He's always had a little air of sadness about him but yesterday and today have been very hard on him.  He's been whinier than usual, poor little dude.  We walked him over to the park again today and then a bit further so he could see the boxer we talk to when we're walking.  I'm not sure whose eyes were bigger, the boxer's or Jimmy's.  Hopefully lots of TLC will get him through this.  We're just keeping a close eye on his eating to make sure he doesn't shut down.  We had a golden retriever that mourned himself to death when we had to put our first Saint, Guenther, to sleep and that's horrible to watch.  I'll go to HyVee and get the refrigerated dog food to mix with his kibble if need be.

Anyways, thanks for your kind words.  Carly was really a very special dog.  Even the cats seem to be missing her.  Cass particularly liked swiping at her tail whenever she wagged it within paws reach. 

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Went online after lunch today to the Central Nebraska Humane Society web page.  Just wanted to see what is available and saw that they were having a pet adoption today in conjunction with PetCo.  So Bob & I headed out to PetCo.  The adoption thingie was over by the time we got there (2:45) but the gentleman at PetCo said the Humane Society was open all afternoon so we took a drive out in the county as the Humane Society is about 1/2 mile from our regional airport which is out in the sticks.

When we got there, one of their volunteers was walking an absolutely gorgeous dirty white husky mix.  I asked if she was available and she will be, after she is done nursing her litter of puppies which are due like any day.   This is a pretty new building so the animals are presented very well.  They have this huge room with about 4 cat trees for all of the kittens/cats in need of homes.  Two separate rooms for dogs, small breed/puppies and large breeds.  Their youngest dog was 2 years.  The cutest ones were either "destructive--chewer", "no cats" and we have two or doesn't get along well with other dogs or were already as big or bigger than Jimmy.  I think he'd handle a puppy great but not a dog as large as he is from the get-go.  We did try to adopt a husky when we were still in Kansas and Jimmy loved the dog outside when they were romping but inside it was very very tense.  It was a trial situation so we just called and told them we didn't think it would work out.  There was one dog that her chart showed that she got along great with other dogs, loved cats, great disposition, etc but she is a pure pit bull.  I know people who have great success with their pits but we've also had several maulings here in the last year or so from pit bulls so we are both in agreement that we don't want to go down that road.

We were talking on the way home and we both thought the pregnant husky mix was the best of the bunch.  Bob wondered out loud what would happen to her puppies so when we got home I called and asked.  The lady who answered the phone said that they will be available for adoption 8 weeks after their birth, which she said should be any day and that if we are interested in adopting one of the puppies we need to keep an eye on the web page as it will be updated when they are ready to adopt out.

So, even though we had a hankering to get Jimmy a new playmate today, we came home empty handed but with a pretty good lead at least.  He is handling every thing pretty well we both think.   He's eating pretty well though I had to bribe him the first day or two.  I think his daily walks are helping a lot as well.   Truth be told, Jimmy is probably handling things better than I am.  I'm just so used to stepping over Carly when I'm working in Sew & Sew -- just seems like something is missing since she's not laying in the middle of the floor or coming over to where I'm working to nuzzle me.  It is getting more "normal" to not see her down here but still sucks large chunks.

Virginia

Darren Henry

I feel for you---I know that "empty hallway" when you get home feeling. It gets better with time. With my Buddy road trips were the hardest part for me for a while. After 17 years I just expected to pack his bag and have him in the shotgun seat.

I wish you well with your puppy hunt, I'm sure you will be patient enough to wait till you fall in love with a dog and not just grab the first one you can 'cause you want another dog.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!