Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:18:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Recliner Release Pulls - parts?

Started by baileyuph, July 26, 2014, 05:37:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Best that I can discern is heavy people require a stronger pull on the release mechanism, mounted in the side of an arm usually.

The dynamics of this situation is apparently causing the pulls (sort of like some car door openers) to break. 

On furniture a few years old, it has been difficult to locate the replacement pull.  A job came in yesterday like this on a Broyhill sofa.  Called several places and no luck.

This sofa is about 9 or 10 years old, probably parts were imported.  Also, people get heavier is another reason for the increased breakage. 

So many problems with the newer furniture, especially with recliners, that require parts that aren't easy to find.

I guess there is not much profit in after market parts - makes one question why they even sell.  Maybe the parts and other problems will  blow away the big market.  I won't bet on it.

It's junk!

Doyle

sofadoc

Do an E-bay search for "Recliner release cables", and you'll likely find the one you're looking for. I've bought some from an E-bay store in the UK for around $15 shipping included.

But "Hammer" can advise you on where to get the best deals for buying them in bulk.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

July 26, 2014, 08:13:40 pm #2 Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:16:28 pm by byhammerandhand
There is one place that has a lot for $25-30 each.
The have some how-tos and FAQs here: http://gracereclinerrestoration.com/how

The important thing is the distance from the clip to the S-hook.   Generically, they are called "long" and "short"    The other important thing is where the pull is -- on the outside arm or next to the seat.

I buy then directly from Leggett & Platt for a bit over $7 each, plus shipping.    I normally order 10 or so at a time.

Leggett & Platt, Incorporated
Attn: Don Nichols
PO Box 69
Cleveland, TN  37364

don.nichols@leggett.com

Don has been very helpful identifying cables and even mechanisms from photos with details of tags and parts.

They sell two types, the
Parachute pull (D-ring) part number  7151750000

Car door flipper (outside arm oval) -- part number 1155000001 (last order was $7.15 each)
in a pinch for a repair, if the cable is broken, you can re-wire if the handle is a bit different.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

All good information -

This problem is not with the cable, it is the handle that is mounted on the outside arm.

My recall the sofa is a fairly large  Broyhill sofa - all leather and the car door handle literally broke.  The handle, apparently when pulled broke. 

Broyhill is trying to be helpful but it appears they aren't going to be able to help.  The customer has the model number and all the original production information - I found this stapled to the underside.

Too often this type of break occurs (where the handle/flipper breaks) leaves me wondering if it is customer influenced or as a mechanism ages, more lever force is required to do the recline function?

I frequently replace this flipper type release pull on the newer Asian furniture and suspect more force is required to execute the recline function that causes the handle breakage.  Too, if the user is pulling the flipper out and pulling at a side angle, that could cause the problem also.

It isn't always the cable. 

Like Dennis says, our business is changing and repairs is probably where most of the work is and will be with these recliners. 

As a further comment, there would be no money in reupholstering these, shops like mine are not working with the same efficiences to come close competing with the price of replacement. 

As time rocks on there is too much disparity between methods and equipments we custom business have and the mass production methods.  Consequently can't compete.  There is a message here for the future of the business.  As time marches on it changes almost everything.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

Yes, sometimes the cable frays and breaks at the terminus and sometimes the hook on the lever or D ring breaks.   My prior comment was sometimes there's a metal flipper or odd shape and the L&P ones are different.   On the flipper style, you can remove the clip that holds the two together and replace just  the broken piece (and save the unused part for future repair).

On the D-ring style, you usually just end up replacing the whole thing.

In general, it takes about 10-15 minutes depending upon how easy it is to get to the mounting screws.   Sectional recliners are easy to get to but then you have to separate and re-connect the sections.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison