Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 07:31:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholsters Widow looking for Cement adhesive used in the 60's

Started by DixieLand, June 10, 2014, 05:12:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DixieLand

My husband died 2 years ago from Asbestos. I'm having great trouble identifying the name of the cement he used for everything, custom cars, vinyl tops, Rugs, and Headliners. The glue was banned in the 1980's (not sure if exactly correct). My Husband hired a lawyer before he died so that i could possibly get a settlement but he died before i could get the name of the glue, the lawyer can't find it and i would really appreciate some help, thank you.

Additional info: The glue was very thick, smelled terrible (used to get high off it) and was kind of yellowish brown.

Not sure if any of this info helps but anything would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

I couldnt tell you but if nobody here does ask here

http://www.carrscorner.com/yabbse/index.php   sorry for your loss.  good  luck

PDQ

Very sorry for your loss, DixieLand.
You may find this page/site helpful.
http://www.asbestos.com/products/construction/adhesive.php

Your information is very limited which suggest you're just starting your research. Keep researching and don't be afraid to ask questions whenever and to whomever you can. It's going to be hard but don't give up, although be careful it doesn't consume you.

I spent 5 years in the thermal insulation industry working in refineries and power stations and even through this short time I knew many a good man succumb to mesothelioma. :(

All the best and good luck.

DixieLand

(Bringing this topic back up rather than creating a new one)

Recently I have found an old photo that shows the adhesive containing asbestos. However, the photo is from the mid-80's and is not of great quality. You can see the adhesive on the left. It is a black 5 gallon bucket with a red and white sticker, and I do believe it is Mastic Adhesive. If anyone can help me identify the brand, product, or even the correct type of adhesive, or forward me to someone that might have better luck with something like this, it would be much appreciated.

Photo: http://i.imgur.com/wIIpZKg.png

MinUph

Dixieland,
  If there was asbestos in this mastic I doubt you will find it for sale anywhere now. Are you trying to cement something or is there a different purpose to the question?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Virgs Sew n Sew

Paul I think that Dixie is trying to find the manufacturer as research for a potential asbestos lawsuit.  At least, that is my take on it.  Before my time as far as upholstering goes, but I don't think that asbestos was identified in products then and as a result, husband became ill or possibly became ill from exposure.  Probably tough in proving unless a class action type thing is going on.

Good luck Dixie and hope you are healing.  Know that this is tough on you for so many reasons.  Know that I am thinking of you often!

Virginia