Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 10:17:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

pontoon frame - biting off too much

Started by Judy_Boat, May 12, 2014, 02:21:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

famous last words - of course i can do that.

customer has a pontoon boat where the back most bar keeps bending and has been repaired at least 3 times. This ties to an earlier post about putting a long zipper in the pocket on the top canvas.

I brought in a square tube frame kit to replace the round tube frame. At least for the back half of the boat. I am not touching the existing front half of the canvas at this time.

I did not think that changing the frame would affect the canvas fit. This frame appears to crown while the old round frame was flat across the top. Have I made a mistake here?

Now I have a lovely frame kit with splices. Do I rivet these pieces together and if so what is the best positioning? 2 rivets per splice? My thought was 2 rivets each side of splice aligned bow to stern.

presently i have the top (bimini) portion of the canvas and the back panel which needed the plastic replaced along with the beat up frame at my shop. Boat is NOT here.

thanks

Judy_Boat

I skimmed Mike's reply quickly, but now it has disappeared.
?

forsailbyowner

I wouldnt expect it to fit too well. It would be akin to buying a "fits all" replacement cover to fit an existing frame. This usually ends up with a horrible fit with loose material everywhere. Maybe you can tailor to make it fit, but thats a big maybe especially if there are panels to account for. It could just about be guaranteed the back panel wouldnt fit if your going from no  crown to crown.

Its always tough to make frames to retrofit canvas, I hope you explained this to the owner beforehand.

I would think the rivets are only holding the splices from pulling out, A single rivet should do on the inside of the frame so it doesnt chafe canvas.