Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 03:21:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

booked up

Started by Mike, January 18, 2014, 06:24:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

February 07, 2014, 04:51:41 pm #15 Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:52:59 pm by Mike
boy for a recover no frame, id never ever see that here maybe in ft Lauderdale
last year I had a guy with a 4 bow deckboat turned down at 600

JuneC

You can't get more than $700 for a 4-bow bimini cover around here - unless it's something unusual.  I'm sure the very wide beam boats cost more, but for a standard 8.5' beam and 3 or 4 bows it's $500 to $600 on average.  I wonder why it's so lucrative up in the Carolinas.  I would have expected the exact opposite. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

forsailbyowner

It seems like  Charleston is still mired in the old south. Theres the withs and the withouts. I was amazed when I visited a musuem that seemed to still espouse the benefits of slavery. It had plaques of famous historical figures touting the morality and "rightness" of owning slaves. Strangely enough I was getting a liveaboard slip for $200 a month. I guess people bought big blocks of slips for exhorbitant prices during the peak of the housing boom. Now theyre way upside down in them owing much much more than the slips are valued at. I get to see the work that was purchased in my absence. One that comes to mind is a four bow bimini recover that was saggy and flapped in the wind that the owner had paid $1200 for.   I restitched a 6 month old job for $700 that the owner had paid $4000 for. Bimini , boomcover and dodger. I think it was originally done with cotton thread as it burned instead of melting with flame. The very first job I did there was for the Dockmaster at the time. It was a 3 bow that I charged $400 for and it turned out to be the best bimini I have ever done. Not a wrinkle. He was my best salesman and had people lined up at my boat getting quotes. As it turned out he was also the proprietor of the bar and I dont think I paid for a drink all summer :) Id slide a $20 across the bar and hed smile and slide it back.

Mike

I wonder at those [rices if a shop would stay busy ? if there are enough  ( haves) rather then "have nots"
for a shop to stay consistently busy with $1200 bimini canvas I assume a lot more if you bend the frame and  4000 dollar bimini boom dodgers ?of coulrse if you did one every couple seeks give you more time to go fishing, but then more time off id spend more in gas then :(

Mojo

June:

There is alot of money in and around Charleston. Even more so as you go North like Myrtle Beach, the Outer Banks, Chesapeke. These areas are weekend play grounds for the wealthy.

Chris

gene

February 09, 2014, 05:22:54 am #20 Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:24:10 am by gene
I got a chuckle out of the recent 6.6% unemployment rate.

I've been following this stat for decades and they've stopped counting so many groups of people who are unemployed, such as "Those who are no longer actively looking for employment." And they no longer clarify if a job is part time or whether someone used to make $100,00 per year and is now making $10.00 per hour.

They count illegals who are working but do not count illegals who are in the country and not working.

LOL

Pretty soon the gov. will only be counting people who are working and the unemployment rate will be 0%.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

QuotePretty soon the gov. will only be counting people who are working and the unemployment rate will be 0%

We had a Prime Minister (Jean Cretian) solve the issue of how many people were living in poverty in a single step---he raised the $ amount considered the poverty line and poof thousands of people were living better.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

February 09, 2014, 11:09:24 am #22 Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:11:20 am by Mike
quote author=gene link=topic=12858.msg104537#msg104537 date=1391952174]

They count illegals who are working but do not count illegals who are in the country and not working

gene
[/quote]

illegals  should   NOTeven be counted should be illegal period

timtheboatguy

Glad to hear so many folks are busy! I too have a two or three week back log on boat covers right now. However if the weather would warm up I could get caught up much faster.

Oh and by the way, we are not supposed to call them "Illegals" anymore, it may hurt their feelings.

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

regalman190

February 10, 2014, 11:01:48 am #24 Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:03:36 am by regalman190
I think back when my parents came here from Italy in the 1950's. In order to come here, they had to have a sponsor, a job to come to and a place to live. And they had to LEARN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE and go to school to become a citizen. No free rides.
Now we make it so easy for the "illegals"....and I don't care if it hurts their feelings. Today they speak THEIR language and don't even try to learn ours.
Something is wrong with this!!!

Sorry for the rant....back to work I go.
Regal Canvas

forsailbyowner

IMHO theres an undeclared class war going on in this country. The uber rich who finance the politicians are laughing as they orchestrate the rep vs dem fight while they are robbing us blind with the high fuel prices , mandatory outrageous insurance prices and banking scams. Meanwhile the average joe is saying damned republicans or damned democrats, whichever team they have chosen. The illegal influx of cheap work and opening up trade with china were just a message to the lower classes, We dont need you.

timtheboatguy

It's time to rise up!....... Okay, I'll get back to work now.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur