Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 05:26:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How was this bench upholstered?

Started by cbaron, March 04, 2014, 08:32:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cbaron

I picked up this bench for $20 at Salvation Army. It's nothing special, seems to have been built relatively recently but it was in decent shape and I thought I could salvage it. The thing is I can't figure out how the seats were attached to the frame.

When I bought it there was a border of old material that was stapled and glued to the top of the frame. I pulled out the staples and removed most of the material but you can see the stray threads where there's still some glue. There was also a plywood square in each recess in the frame but it seems a bit flimsy to support one's weight. There doesn't appear to be any diagonal supports for a seat to screw into like I've seen in most chairs. Any idea how this was originally constructed?? Thanks for your help!

-Carl

sofadoc

The MAIN reason why it seems like it must have been flimsy......is because it WAS flimsy. I've seen a bunch of them like that. Sometimes they shoot finishing nails right through the top of the fabric to secure that thin piece of paneling. You're going to have to do some carpentry to make it sturdy. That removable frame probably isn't strong enough to support webbing.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I can't see the edges close enough to determine if there was caning before that removable frame was made.   I would re-attach the frame with screws and glue.  Make to 2 plywood inserts with just the center cut out for a few webbing strips then foam, muslin, fabric etc.   Other wise if you don't want to see that center piece with a two seater - insert plywood even with the center piece.  Glue foam on the plywood, cover with fabric and make a loose cushion for the top.
SA

MinUph

Pictures really are not large enough to see the frames well enough to comment properly.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

I was thinking of cane at first, but do not see any holes. I would consider seat height maybe the std 17" Im  curious what it is now.

gene

March 04, 2014, 07:15:18 pm #5 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:19:12 pm by gene
There may have been gimp glued around the eage of each opening on the frame.

One thought:

Take the frame apart and use the wood to put a new cross member vertical and diagonal UNDER the bench rails.

Cut a piece of plywood in the shape of the frame matching the recess on the seat of the bench. Same thickness as the recess on the bench.

This plywood piece will sit in the recess all around and also be supported by the new cross members.

Put thin poly batting on top of this plywood and cover with a face fabric, stapling underneath.

Make a 2" or 3" boxed cushion  to sit on top of the plywood, same shape as the plywood, obviously.

I think it can look really nice. Probably not designed for a lot of heavy use.

Don't forget to show finished pictures of whatever you decide to do.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!