Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 21, 2024, 01:10:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

upholstery skirt

Started by gene, January 13, 2014, 07:07:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

I'm just wondering if you could put a cardboard tacking strip on top of the welt edge and put the Pli-grip across the top edge.   The skirt is always straight and the top edge is often hidden under the arm top or has a curve in it.  If the curve is there, you have to use Pli-grip anyway.

I don't think there's any law that says you have to attach panels top down and not bottom up??  If gravity is working against you, just flip the chair over.

Quote from: gene on January 13, 2014, 07:07:22 am
Then staple ply grip on top of the welt cord, all around the chair.

Then put the front panel on and instead of pulling it under the chair and stapling, (you can't because the skirt is there), you tuck it into the ply grip.

Gene

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Lo

Ahhh . . . Keith I think you are onto another option! As a matter of fact, may not even need cording to hide the ply-grip depending on the arm extension over the side . . .

You make me laugh though with your comment of gravity and flipping the chair . . . often times we do put ply-grip at the top of the back of a curved piece and then pull under and staple. In other words, your thought to me is just a variation of that technique.

I am not a big fan of the double cord idea, though I too have seen it on factory work . . .

Another thought with Gene's or your technique is less dust would collect on top of the cording as it would be built out on top at the seam point with either the cardboard strip or ply-grip for a smoother transition. 

kodydog

Interesting idea Gene, have you tried it yet?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

chrisberry12

That sounds very complicated and way too much work for me. I am sure I make my skirts like most of you out there, cut, fit, sew with muslin, iron, add skirtex. Label each panel S1, F2, S3, B4 sew the welt on and finish. Slide onto chair from the bottom, measure 3/4" up from floor, tack on the button twine for even straight line and back tack the skirt on and sometimes blind stitch. I like doing skirts but you can not rush it and they take time.