Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 02:28:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Repairs

Started by SteveA, January 03, 2014, 10:49:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Looks good Steve,
What type of epoxy did you use, must have been sandable?

I know about these emotional feelings people have about older furniture, I have three chairs in work now that were from three or four generations ago.  The short answer is;  just work for the customer and get paid.

Congrats

Doyle

SteveA

I used a 2 part 5 minute epoxy made by Loctite available in Home Depot.  Each leg also got a 3/8 dowel and the breakage glued and cracks filled with the same quick drying epoxy.   For these legs I needed quick set so the glue would not run out of the voids and cracks created by the nails and screws. Finally Bondo as the filler, sanding sealer, white lacquer with a slight raw umber tint,  a light glaze with a dry brush (shellac mixed with earth pigments)  flat lacquer top coat, 4-0 steel wool. 

The epoxy that showed between the voids was just slightly abraded with a riffler just so the bondo could grab onto it.
SA

byhammerandhand

Great job, SteveA.

There is also a gel/paste epoxy that I use.   There are varieties from 5 minute to 24 hour setup.    You can carve the stuff I use in about 5-10 minutes and sand in about 30, depending upon ambient temperature.   You can accelerate by heating with a hair dryer if you're in a hurry.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

Mohawk also make a real nice epoxy. 5 minute sand-able shape-able with tooling and stain-able.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

momto3fatdogs

Great fix! Looks fantatic. My sister & her ex-husband worked for a moving company (HE still does) and you can't beleive the little piddy stuff that "customers" put claims in for! I can only judge other people on what I do myself - but I know I have nicked, knocked, scratched and torn my own stuff just moving it around from room to room. (Mainly because I don't wait for Prince Charming to be home to help me) Heck, I even mark the walls using a vacuum! But when you are paying someone else to do the moving, you expect perfection. And whatever the hired help damages is always worth more after it's damaged...At least that's what my sister said. And just think about what movers MOVE. Lot's of stuff I'd never attempt. We had professional movers when we moved from AL to TN and I thought those boys were going to cry when they saw my sewing room...........  ;)

Sam

SteveA

Sam
Movers don't get enough credit for the hard work they do but their worth is sometimes offset by bad decisions . Not all but some of them do need to work with the old timers more often. That's the teaching part of the business.  For the tremendous amount of difficult things they move usually under adverse conditions - movers make a hard job look easy.

Hammer + Min
I usually have Mohawk epoxy or west system around but those were running low.  Loctite seems very comparable to Mohawk's 5 minute and I can buy it without waiting for a shipment.  I did bulk up the epoxy with some micro fibers after painting the raw wood with just the 2 part mix.  I've noticed those gels in the Van Dykes catalog but haven't tried them - thanks for reminding me - I will order them the next time around. 

SA

Mojo

Great job Steve........:)
Awesome repair.

Chris