Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 03:22:28 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cleaning Vinyl Cushions

Started by kitkatcouture, January 03, 2014, 09:59:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kitkatcouture

I'm a newbie to upholstery.  Received some vinyl cushions from a boler trailer to redo.  Customer wants to keep the old vinyl and just replace torn fabric, which is on one side only.  Mice have gotten to the fabric and foam so that will be replaced but I noticed the underside of the vinyl is moldy.  Can I put it in the washer on delicate?  Seems like a stupid question and probably the experts are laughing right now, but before I suggest he replace the vinyl I'd like to make sure I try everything.  Thanks for your time.

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kitkatcouture

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

January 03, 2014, 03:49:46 pm #4 Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:53:10 pm by gene
Welcome to the forum.

Paul Dirac was a mathematician on par with Albert Einstein. A few years younger. He was known for rarely speaking, and when he did, he used the fewest possible words needed. A "dirac" has become known in mathematics as just that: using the fewest possible words needed.

Paul, aka MinUph, always gets the "dirac" prize on this forum.  ;D

As a newbie to upholstery, here's a thought for you: Do you want your name on cushions that have lovely new fabric on one side and worn, moldy, and rat pooped on vinyl on the other side? This is a job that I would say "All new fabric and vinyl" or 'no quote".

Also, you will find that patch jobs usually take a lot longer time than expected. And the customer is rarely fully satisfied. How much more time will it take to work with the old vinyl compared to working with new vinyl?

best of luck,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kitkatcouture

You're absolutely right, I do not.   I'll advise them in the quote that I give that it should be replaced.  Thanks for the advice!