Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 09:05:13 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Costs

Started by SteveA, October 29, 2013, 06:28:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

I must not have noticed my rates aren't high enough.    This morning we brought the car into Chrysler - goodness forbid if my wife's car won't open when she touches the handle.  My van of course isn't so complicated.  Anyway labor rate is $ 172.00 / hour plus parts.  We have the extended warranty - so worst case is the $ 100.00 deductible but I'm still shaking my head over these rates - they blurt out 172 like it's nothing -   According to my rate my prices are c. 1990. I try to be competitive but no one else is playing along.  Rate hike - something else to think about today !
SA

sofadoc

I think that dealerships only charge those astronomical rates to discourage anyone from passing on the extended warranty service plan.

I don't know any local independent mechanics that charge anywhere close to that amount.

The $100 deductible is actually all the repair should cost anyway.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Garage rates at authorized dealers have been increasing over the last whatever (40 years)?  Your rates reflect probably some of the highest.  Smaller communities, some midwest states are a little less.  Everyone's business cost has been going up, running a formal business is expensive, even in my smaller business, smaller community, cost have steadily gone up over the years.  I do not have a comparable figure for your same service but the last I heard it was around the $130 mark.

Another part of that business that has been increasing is the price of new/used cars.  

We have to work harder and faster!  

Doyle

Mike

Iwas just reading a local mobile marine me hani s website. This one gets $90 per hour.

SteveA

Sofadoc

$ 44.00 for labor and $ 26.00 for a new battery but they threw in a free oil change so yes under the deductible but the most important thing  - wife is happy.  I sprung for lunch and she got her nails done so I'm seeing all smiles back at me today.   I wonder if I could have changed that battery myself ?

SA

sofadoc

Steve A:

So you took the car in for repair because it wouldn't open when she touched the handle. 

But now that she's got her nails done, she probably can't touch the handle anyway.

You're right back where you started (at least you got lunch and oil out of the deal) ;).

Mike

Quote from: SteveA on October 29, 2013, 01:00:04 pm
   I wonder if I could have changed that battery myself ?

SA
I fust got a new Chrysler seens to change the battery the front tire has to come off and then a panel in the wheel well so the battery can slide out

MinUph

I recently bought a Prius and the automotive battery is behind the rear seat. Haven't even looked at how it would come out. I quit working on cars right after the catalytic converter was invented.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

Quote from: MinUph on October 29, 2013, 05:46:20 pm
I quit working on cars right after the catalytic converter was invented.

I hear ya , I don't want to , but I like to think I still can

SteveA

This is the battery in the key that opens the door +  allows the car to start. With the key in your pocket - if you touch the car door handle the door button opens.   $ 26.00 bucks they charged me -  can I buy this battery in HD and do it myself next time ?
SA

Mojo

I try and use independent shops when possible but they are starting to get hit hard by the Big 3 innovations. The dealers all have to upgrade their computer programs that talk with your car quite often and the Big 3 give their dealers price breaks.

The Independents have to buy them through Snap On and pay a markup. Still the small shops are typically cheaper and you can find some amazing mechanics in these places. The dealer mechanics are all plug and play guys. They plug the computer in, play the program, it tells them what to replace, they unplug the sensor, plug in a new one and your down the road. After paying an enormous bill sometimes.

We just got rid of the wifes 2009 Huyandai Sonata. At 19 K miles the head cracked. At 22 K miles both oxygen sensors went. And the biggie ? The engine blew at 29 K miles. That car spent more time on the back of a tow truck or at the dealers then it did in our driveway.

We dumped it as soon as the engine was replaced and all of these repairs were done under factory warranty. We then went out and found her a 2012 GMC Terrain that was certified and carried a very strong bumper to bumper warranty.

Anymore, I hate cars. I loved working on them but like Paul said, when they came out with all the pollution crap I despised working on them.

Chris

sofadoc

My wife has charted the progression of our marriage by how much of my body protrudes from underneath the car.

When we first got married, she could only see my feet.
Over the years, as the degree of difficulty fixing cars (and my waistline) grew, she gradually saw more and more.

Now, it takes me 5 minutes just to find the hood release.
I can still replace a battery, or a blown hose. But that's about it.

I drive 'em for 5-7 years. When they start needing parts every few weeks, I know it's time to trade 'em in.

gene

Albert Einstein proposed that the speed of light is relative to the observer, i.e., the person doing the looking.

I propose that gravity is relative to the age of the observer, i.e., the person getting older.

The older one gets, the greater the amount of force exhibited by gravity. It's not my fat stomach, my worn out knees, my atrophying muscles, my bones leaching calcium, my clogged heart arteries, nor my sedentary life style. It's gravity getting stronger as I get older.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

The relativities espoused are interesting, particularly if one understands the phenomena.

Bringing it home, it would be interesting to hear the theory of relativity about "making money".

Is it looks, brains, physical, obsession, determination, mind set, or merely the economy?
Or even how well you can pour from the boot?  LOL.

Doyle

Mike

Quote from: SteveA on October 30, 2013, 03:04:42 am
This is the battery in the key that opens the door +  allows the car to start. With the key in your pocket - if you touch the car door handle the door button opens.   $ 26.00 bucks they charged me -  can I buy this battery in HD and do it myself next time ?
SA
I had a dodge van and it had key fobs not a key but you stuck it in the igniton and it knew it was there I had to replace on and it was about $200 I had bought a new battery for it a flat battery like in a watch   at the local ace. that touch the door would be neet. that said I hate all the new safty and alert crap.   it got cold out the other day and my tire preasure sensor went off on a tire and the stupid safety belts all but the drivers belts now auto lock when fully pulled out for securing baby seat so if im riding shotgun and I lean forward for the glove box when I sit back im anchored to the seat till its unbuckled,