Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 11:28:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat seat materials

Started by Mike, October 10, 2013, 05:34:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Doyle was talking of the newer plastics inside he seat.
I e seen acouple pontoon captians seat built like a car with a metal frame springs and hogrings.
But i e got a dew kboat im working on now that has a captians seat with mesh inserts like a office chair. Lucky im not doing the upholstery i be hardpressed to match the mesh

Bob T

October 10, 2013, 08:07:49 am #1 Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:08:23 am by Bob T
I'd bet the mesh used in sailing catamarans or even back yard trampolines would make good seating materials.  It's strong, UV resistant, light weight, allows rain to go thru, easily cleaned, breathes and is tough.  Just might work!!

brmax

I have seen many dump truck tarps that are using a mesh and very heavy duty, i guess this maybe used for the project possibly it looks like the trampoline material mentioned.  Mike are you saying this is totaly covering a spring setup or used mostly in a straping.
Good day

Mike

no it had a vinyl bolster aroud the edges but the insert m=was mesh just like a office chair I didn't examine closely as I was with the owner discussing what he wanted but ll get  pic when Im working on the boat probably end of net week

Mojo

The mesh material I used to use to make solar screens was amazing. It was called textilene and was made by Twitchell. That stuff was tough as nails. I still have solar screens out there that I have seen and look like new.

It is crazy strong ( and heavy ).

Chris

JuneC

It might not be as cushy as foam (or maybe it is...), but I can guarantee it's way cooler.

http://www.coroflot.com/jasonbegin/Pellicle-Mesh-Boat-Seat

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

brmax

Just want to say thanks, The future boat seats that im affraid to know the cost.  I have no doubt they are top line. Thats a goal to put on the board, reworking a set of them.
realy cool, heck Captains gonna gain a bit because they can sit and be cool. well ya know uh cooler
Have a good day and great pics thanks